Views
Helpful
Replies

ssid numbers

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi All,

We have a Cisco 2505 WLC which can support 5 Ap's based on license. Is there any limitation on the no. of ssid's that can be configured on a wlc, how to determine that detail.

thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Best practice is to keep it down to a minimum.  I would have to say 4 ssid's max.... this doesn't mean you can't have 5 or more, it depends on your clients.  Some older clients and maybe some new, might have issues with seeing all beacons from the AP's.  The less the less RF noise:)

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Keep in mind, the maximun number of ssid's per AP is 16.  Best practice is to only have around 4.

-Scott

thanks, what is the best practice no. for a wlc

Best practice is to keep it down to a minimum.  I would have to say 4 ssid's max.... this doesn't mean you can't have 5 or more, it depends on your clients.  Some older clients and maybe some new, might have issues with seeing all beacons from the AP's.  The less the less RF noise:)

-Scott

I would piggy back further on Scotts comment. Each SSID you add the more medium you need for beacons. It doesnt sound like much, but take 1 AP and enable all 16 SSIDs. Then open a wifi analyzer and you will see network ultization just for managment traffic spike to 40%+, with data no traffic.

So its always best to have less SSIDs rather than more .

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

on the WLC its 512 and on the AP its 16..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/wireless/controller/7.0MR1/configuration/guide/cg_wlan.html#wp1084744

Please dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards
Surendra BG
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card