Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange AP2602i behaviour on WLC2504 7.3.112

EvaldasOu
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Guys.

There are two Cisco WLCs 2504 running 7.3.112 release. Both WLCs has a minimal configuration difference (AP groups/ IP addresses).

There is a problem with only one AP2602i (there was no problem with this AP before. Other 20 APs works without any problem).

Description of the problem:

• AP2602i can connect to both WLCs. (CAPWAP works).
  • If AP2602i is connected to WLC1:
    • It is possible to configure and manage AP.;
    • AP broadcasts all the configured SSIDs;
    • It is impossible for wireless client to connect to any of the SSIDs. It doesn't work with open (no security SSID), with WPA2-PSK too.
    • The weirdest thing: there are no logs on WLC about unsuccessful client authentication. No info about the client at all.
  • If AP2602i is connected to WLC2:
    • Everything works.

Guys, do you have any ideas about this issue?

Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

There shouldn't be any issue... the requirements for when you have an AP failover, is the the AP Groups are defined on all WLC's, the WLAN's are created the same, and that you have mobility up between the WLC's.

Could possibly be v7.3, which is deferred like v7.5.  I have 2602's on WLC's running v7.4.121.0 in local and flex with no issues when testing failover.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

That could be your code. If you have an ap joined to a WLC and you move it to a different AP Group, the AP needs to reboot and come back joined to that WLC. This has nothing to do with the AP moving to and from a different WLC. If this happens with just moving an ap to different AP Groups, then it's either the WLC code or something with that AP.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well, when the AP moves to WLC1, what is defined in the AP Group.... you you don't have the same AP Group, the AP will default to the default ap group and that might be your issue.  The AP's in FlexConnect by chance?

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

Hi Scott.

AP is running in local mode only. I tried to run SE-Connect mode on the AP when connected to WLC1. Spectrum Expert mode works smoothly on the AP.

Regarding the AP group:

• I have tried to use the default AP group;
  • Created a new group, with new WLAN, mapped with the new Controller Interface;
  • Created a new group, with new WLAN, mapped with the existing Controller Interface.

There was no success!

There shouldn't be any issue... the requirements for when you have an AP failover, is the the AP Groups are defined on all WLC's, the WLAN's are created the same, and that you have mobility up between the WLC's.

Could possibly be v7.3, which is deferred like v7.5.  I have 2602's on WLC's running v7.4.121.0 in local and flex with no issues when testing failover.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

I would upgrade your firmware and upgrade the boostrap too.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Take a look at the flash and see if memory is low. Crash files can build up and next thing you know you have no mem left.

-Scott

Hi guys,

It works now... maybe the issue was, that WLC1 and WLC2 had a different group naming.

AP2602l was working with WLC2, when in "default" group.

We tried this:

• Created a new group (with the same name as WLC1 has) on WLC2.
  • Moved AP to the new group.
  • Migrated AP to WLC1 (by changing primary WLC IP address to WLC1, and secondary WLC IP address to WLC2)
  • AP works with WLC1 now...

maybe the issue was, that WLC1 and WLC2 had a different group naming.

Not "maybe".  That is the issue.

The AP Groups for WLC1 and WLC2 needs to be the same.  The AP Groups naming convention is CASE SENSITIVE.

Leo,

But when AP2602l was connected to the WLC1... I have created a new "AP group" (with a random group name)...

I add AP to this group. AP got all the configuration, all the SSIDs were visible on this AP... but my client was not able to connect.

Don't you think it should work this way?

Let's say you have created the AP Group of "BLAH" (4 SSID) in WLC1.  On WLC2, you've created "BLAh" (4 SSID).  In the AP Group "default-group", there are NO SSID assigned.

The AP is associated to the primary controller, WLC1, and WLC2 is the secondary controller.  The AP is assigned to the AP Group "BLAH".

So when the AP fails over to the secondary controller, guess how many SSID will be broadcasted.  ZERO.  This is because WLC2 does NOT have an AP Group called "BLAH".  WLC2 has "BLAh".  So the AP will use the AP Group of "default-group".

Does this make any sense or are you "clear as mud"?

Leo,

I understand. But the problem was:

• AP is on WLC1;
  • I created a new WLAN;
  • I created a brand new group specifically for this AP on WLC1;
  • I assigned AP and a new WLAN to the new group;
  • AP broadcasts the new WLAN SSID now.
  • Clients can't connect. No logs at WLC1 about unsuccesfull connection.

That was strange.

That could be your code. If you have an ap joined to a WLC and you move it to a different AP Group, the AP needs to reboot and come back joined to that WLC. This has nothing to do with the AP moving to and from a different WLC. If this happens with just moving an ap to different AP Groups, then it's either the WLC code or something with that AP.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card