cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Streamlining for product support is necessary. Does Cisco get it?

Freedomfirst12
Level 1
Level 1

I am not hear to complain about Cisco. I generally like the products and use them, but I am a bit advanced in my understanding of technology and have a bit more patience and tolerance for overcoming obstacles.  I am concerned Cisco is missing easy opportunities.

Here are some of my complaints:

The AE 1000 adapter easily overheats and starts dropping connections. I had to remove the plastic from the adapter and after that, it works like a charm. No problems. The plastic device clearly contributes to the device overheating and dropping connections but there is no one to report it to. The cover should be a plastic mesh or some other material and there should be a metal attachment to help disperse the heat.

I upgraded to the LinkSys E3000,  but it was pure hell to get the upgrade because the new software did not recognize or replace the old software. The result is it completely bypassed the ability to name the SSID network and setup the password.  OOPS!  Having had previous software experience, I uninstalled the older  E1000 and it worked like a charm. No problems from there, but I have some idea what I am doing. God only knows how much screaming and cussing a less experience person would have done!

Furthermore, some of the advance features really should not be advanced considering the concerns about privacy. Many smartphones can pick up wireless networks, open garage doors and be your tv remote. It just takes an app or two to have these capabilities. This is why users should have easy access to the SSID broadcast and shut it off. Why disturb the neighbors let alone encourage data thieves and vandals by broadcasting your SSID?  There really should be more information about how to use the MAC controls too but I found them lacking.

I would love to hear from Cisco's R&D department or customer service but I ain't holding my breathe. I simply pray they read my comments here.

2 Replies 2

dmantill
Level 4
Level 4

Ok, I understand your position. BUT....

1) all the products that you are mentioning are Cisco-Linksys... that is just for home use...

2) Cisco DOESNT handle these products. (Personally I would say, AT ALL! )

3) Not even TAC know those products...

4) Linksys support is the one handling code, and hardware of those unit and Linksys support handle those devices....

So as a matter, Cisco wont do more than redirecting you to Linksys.

Linksys will not really care or suggest to an RMA or wont give  a real solution at the correct time due to my personal experience ...

Hope you get lucky and get a better answer dude

GotOxygen
Level 1
Level 1

I've had the exact same problem with my AE1000 (twice).  Here's the (unofficial) Linksys response:

Shehbaz (71592) has joined this session.

from GotOxygen to All Participants:

You can refer this Case ID: 110802-010923.

To   follow-up where we left off: the adapter overheats in my netbook as   well. In the 5 minutes or less that it took me to locate the driver, the   metal on the USB adapter was almost hot enough to burn me. The problem   is not isolated to my desktop PC. In addition, I've tested the adapter   on multiple ports on my desktop PC, with front and rear USB ports,  with  and without the included USB extension cable.

from Shehbaz (71592) (privately):

Hello, Welcome to Live Chat Cisco Support for Linksys Products. How may I help you today ?

I will help you with this but before that may I have the serial number of your device ?

I'm   on my 2nd AE1000 (returned the first one to Staples store because   Linksys tech support said I'd have to pay shipping for RMA). The sticker   on the back is worn, probably due to excessive heat, but the S/N   appears to be "JVL00XXXXXXX". These adapters seem to last for awhile,   and then stop working. My current adapter has gotten progressively   worse, from having to be unplugged and plugged back in once a day, to   where it only stays connected for between 5 seconds and 5 hours   (arbitrarily). It appears to overheat, as when I unplug it the USB   connector is so hot it almost burns me. I've even taken the initiative   to pop off the plastic casing to try to dissipate the heat better, to no   avail. Is this a faulty design, am I doing something wrong, do I need   to find another adapter? I use this adapter on my desktop PC, and  stream  Netflix at night... that's about all the more use it gets. I am  using  the included USB extension cable and the adapter is in an open,   ventilated space. Thoughts?

^-- The sticker on the back is worn, probably due to excessive heat, but the S/N appears to be "JVL00XXXXXXX"

You can refer this Case ID: 110802-010923.

Thank you for the information !

Well this seems to be an harware issue of AE1000

That's   what I thought, but, I'm concerned about purchasing a different model   from Linksys because this one has shaken my trust. What would be a   better adapter for me?

Well   AE1000 is one of the best ones but the one you got must have some or   the other hardware issues, so I would suggest you to get it replaced.

But this is the 2nd one, both have done the same thing.

The   first one, I was tweaking settings on my E4200 and switched it to   channel 1 and the 1st adapter stopped working consistently.

Now this one has slowly went bad.

The overheating problem is a big concern as this should not be the case.

Right, I've never had a USB device get so hot as to burn.

And   it worked fine for over a month...then all of the sudden. So, what's  my  remedy? What can we do? I pay for shipping, RMA, and possibly get   another adapter that breaks in a month or 2?

By   all means, I do not intend to be rude... I'm sure you get enough of   that... I'm just tired of dealing with this and ready to find a product   that works. I'm sure you understand.

Yes I do undeerstand you concern.

You can get it replaced from the store or RMA is the only other solution to this.

I   have a free PCI slot. You tell me... does the AE1000 have a bad   reputation for this, is the WMP600N more reliable, what would you do if   you were me?

I've seen several forum posts where people have had problems with their AE1000's overheating.

Well it does have a very good performance but in rare cases it is found that the device overheats.

Ok. Thank you for being honest. I will simply purchase the PCI card and see how that works for me.

Thank you for your time and I hope you have a wonderful rest of the day.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve you through Live Chat Cisco Support for Linksys Products.

Bye & take care.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card