Views
Helpful
Replies

Successor to the 5508 controller?

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello

I'm currently using some 440x controllers and I guess it's soon time to upgrade. I don't really want to buy a 5508, simply because it's already > 4 years old and thus probably not very future proof (we have a 5 year window). The 5760 controller on the other hand seems to lack several features and lacks even more since WLC 8.0 has been released. I am currently also quite confused about Cisco's controller strategy...

Anyway, has anybody of you heard about a 5508 successor or about what will happen with the two not synchronized release threads (ios and wlc based)?

Thanks

Patrick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Anyway, has anybody of you heard about a 5508 successor or about what will happen with the two not synchronized release threads (ios and wlc based)?

The short answer is "Yes".  The long answer is "talk to your Cisco AM/SE" and NOT to your authorized Cisco reseller/vendor.  

The new hardwares are slated for mid- to end-of-2015.  That's all I can say in regards to the topic of what's going to replace the venerable 5508.

Now, strategy time.  Cisco SALES' mantra has always been this:  IF, for example, the 5508 is announced today, users have about three to five years to find the funds to replace them.   Here's the deal:  The wireless IOS, not the Aerospace OS, is not doing well.  At all.  So this alone dictates that the 5508/WiSM-2 is going to be around for a few more years.  

Now, your biggest concern is NOT when is the EoS going to be announced for the 5508/WiSM-2.  Your biggest concern are your APs.  Have you read/seen the Release Notes for the 8.0 firmware?  All 802.11g-only APs, like the 1130 and 1240, will NOT have 8.0 features enabled.  They can join a controller with 8.0 firmware, but they won't have any 8.x features enabled.  So my hunch is this:  The next major release, maybe 8.1, all non-CleanAir APs, like the 1040, 1140 will not have 8.1 features enabled and the list will go on.  

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The short answer is "Yes".  The long answer is "talk to your Cisco AM/SE" and NOT to your authorized Cisco reseller/vendor.  

The new hardwares are slated for mid- to end-of-2015.  That's all I can say in regards to the topic of what's going to replace the venerable 5508.

Now, strategy time.  Cisco SALES' mantra has always been this:  IF, for example, the 5508 is announced today, users have about three to five years to find the funds to replace them.   Here's the deal:  The wireless IOS, not the Aerospace OS, is not doing well.  At all.  So this alone dictates that the 5508/WiSM-2 is going to be around for a few more years.  

Now, your biggest concern is NOT when is the EoS going to be announced for the 5508/WiSM-2.  Your biggest concern are your APs.  Have you read/seen the Release Notes for the 8.0 firmware?  All 802.11g-only APs, like the 1130 and 1240, will NOT have 8.0 features enabled.  They can join a controller with 8.0 firmware, but they won't have any 8.x features enabled.  So my hunch is this:  The next major release, maybe 8.1, all non-CleanAir APs, like the 1040, 1140 will not have 8.1 features enabled and the list will go on.  

Hi Leo

Thanks a lot for your answer. Mid to end next year would be fine, that is still inside the hardware replacement warranty time of my old WiSM.

Luckily I only have two (2) old g-only APs left, so no big loss about those (can quickly be replaced with something more modern with an external antenna).

Now that they might not add the new features for the 1140 series is less nice, although ours get 5 years old by the end of this year. I guess they could also be easily (budget wise) replaced. All others are 3500 series, also a bit older, but I hope they can be kept for a few more years in a mixed (all models spread over the same building) environment.

When 802.11ac Wave 2 gets ratified next year, Cisco will be in the forefront of announcing the 3800 a few weeks before the ratification announcement.  So you'll have time to upgrade your 1140 and 3500.  

Note that for 802.11ac Wave 2, you'll need a PoE power budget of about 20.0w PoE and dual copper cables back to your switch.  Your switch will have to be either a 3650, 3850 or Sup8E if you want to avail of 802.11ac Wave 2.  Otherwise, with 802.11ac Wave 1, a single copper cable will be suffice.

PS:  Take note in my first response I used the word "hardwares".

I really wonder if they will be able to "enforce" those switch models on the market. Also with Wave 2, I admit you don't get the maximum data rate through the 1 Gbit/s Ethernet cable, but I wonder if they indeed will enforce the customers to upgrade their installations. I hope it will not be a requirement to use two ports, but rather optional. I know I will have oversubscription on the Ethernet port this way, but I might be able to live with that.

Sadly there is no PoE (yet) for 10 Gbit/s Ethernet, that would be the ultimate solution, as it would not require new cabling if the installation is rather modern (Cat6A or newer).

That's why I said "hardwares" (plural).  The 5508 replacement ain't the only one coming out.  

A new model of 3850 will be unveiled soon and this will address the potential to do >1 Gbps with PoE and 100 metres limitation.  It's Cisco proprietary.

Ok, that's it.  I'm going to STFU now.  :)

Thanks, looking forward for the new products :) Our 2960G and 3560G are slowly getting old and in need of a replacement ;)

The natural replacement for the 2960G is the 2960S/X.  I've been using 2960S since it was released and so far it's been very good.  Currently 2960X has suffered a spate of bad IOS versions.  There are some IOS which will support 2960S but not 2960X.  If Cisco coded the 2960S IOS to cross into 2960X then this platform would be better.  

3560G replacement is either the 3650 or the 3850.  Both cases, the new IOS-XE code is not really "stable" both in sense of wired and wireless.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card