cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sup engine 8-e with Wired and Wireless Convergence

Kebena
Level 1
Level 1

I have Supervisor Engine 8-E with Wired and Wireless Convergence ordered for a hotel. my APs are scattered all over the place indirectly connected to the core switch which is a 4500 one in which i have the sup 8-e card inserted.  the APs are plugged into 2960 PoE switches. Pls tell me is this will work, I am hearing from some one that the APs should directly get connected to the 4500 switch. The APs are AIR CAP 2600 series ones.

thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you require directly connected AP on your 4k-Sup8E in order to use integrated WLC to register those AP. This is common for all IOS-XE CA switch platforms (3650/3850/4K-Sup8E)

Refer this post if you want to enable wireless on your Sup 8E (in case if you have directly connected AP on that & you want that WLC functionality)

http://wirelessonthego.postach.io/post/sup8e-4500-wireless-installation

As Leo said, AireOS centralize controller is what you want. Here is the latest 5520 spec  if you interested on that.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/5520-wireless-controller/datasheet-c78-734257.html

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

Yes, that's correct. Only requirement is AP has to directly connect to 4500 chassis (which line card does not important)

Yes,even 2504 would work if you have less than 75 AP. There is a special promotion when you buy two APs (3702,2702 or 1702) you will get 2504 with 25 AP license almost free of cost. Here are the part numbers for those promotions 

AIR-AP3702I-UX-WLC
AIR-AP2702I-UX-WLC
AIR-AP1702I-A-WLC <- pick the correct regulatory domain AP model as per your country

HTH

Rasika

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you're planning to let the Sup8E manage your APs, it won't work. 

Your APs need to be directly-connected to the Sup8E.  You're better off getting the 5508/5520 controllers.

Leo, are you saying that I need to have 48 port POE switch line card directly inserted into the 4500 switch i.e WS-X4648-RJ45V-E and connect all the access points to this switch in order to make the Sup 8E control the APs?

thanks

Yes, you require directly connected AP on your 4k-Sup8E in order to use integrated WLC to register those AP. This is common for all IOS-XE CA switch platforms (3650/3850/4K-Sup8E)

Refer this post if you want to enable wireless on your Sup 8E (in case if you have directly connected AP on that & you want that WLC functionality)

http://wirelessonthego.postach.io/post/sup8e-4500-wireless-installation

As Leo said, AireOS centralize controller is what you want. Here is the latest 5520 spec  if you interested on that.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/5520-wireless-controller/datasheet-c78-734257.html

HTH

Rasika

I don't think you are saying I need to connect the APs onto the uplink ports of the Sup8E. As long as the Sup8E and the PoE line card/switch [ WS-X4648-RJ45V-E] are in the same chassis, the access points can be connected to the line card and still Sup8E can still manage the APs. right?

And what if I use  AIR-CT2504-50-K9 instead of the one you suggested 5520, as I have nearly 50 APs.

thanks,

Yes, that's correct. Only requirement is AP has to directly connect to 4500 chassis (which line card does not important)

Yes,even 2504 would work if you have less than 75 AP. There is a special promotion when you buy two APs (3702,2702 or 1702) you will get 2504 with 25 AP license almost free of cost. Here are the part numbers for those promotions 

AIR-AP3702I-UX-WLC
AIR-AP2702I-UX-WLC
AIR-AP1702I-A-WLC <- pick the correct regulatory domain AP model as per your country

HTH

Rasika

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card