Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The signal of AP1830 under ME network is very weak

We have a ME network composed of 10 AP1832s, but the 5G signal of the AP is very weak, and the dynamic TPC is already Level 1 (maximum). I tried to manually set the maximum power, but it is still very weak (the distance between the client and the AP is about 3m or so), no obstructions (such as glass, metal). I tried to modify the TPC threshold. The configured threshold is -65, which still does not solve the problem. This problem has no effect on 2.4GHz. Does anyone know the cause of this problem?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rps-Cheers | If it solves your problem, please mark as answer. Thanks !
11 Replies 11

Does anyone have a similar experience?

Rich R
VIP
VIP

You failed to mention what version of code you're running ...

Have you updated to the latest version?

The version is 8.10.151

So then I would say your starting point is 8.10.162.0 and if that doesn't resolve it you'll need to talk to TAC.

Thanks for your reply, do you mean that there may be bugs in the current version?

There are always bug fixes in every maintenance release (the clue is in the name).

Check the release notes for "resolved caveats" (Cisco code for bug fixes) which lists all high priority fixes but there are usually also many others with lower priority which are fixed but not explicitly listed in the release notes.  You have to search on the bug search tool to find details of those.  Be aware that bug descriptions can sometimes be a little cryptic and sometimes may impact the feature you use even if it isn't immediately obvious from the description.

Thanks

I will check the release note,I hope there is any useful methods.

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just to add what clients are impacted by this? Did you check with different clients? Different channels in the same AP?

I have seen RSSI changes from the same client when there is a channel change, I would also check the RSSI readings from multiple types of clients to rule out any client side issue.

Then since this is ME, as @Rich R said always try to use the latest AireOS, I have seen each time when we reach out to TAC for ME related cases they ask us to upgrade to the latest code.

Maybe it is a good suggestion.

The test client includes laptops and iPhones, no matter which AP they are connected to (different channels), the signal is still not very good when the distance to the AP is very close (about 3 meters). Is there no other way but to upgrade?

Resolving known bugs first is always a good starting point.  If you open a case with TAC that's probably the first thing they'll tell you to do.  For example https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvx52078 Cisco Aironet 2802 Series Access Point suddenly drops in transmission power level fixed in 8.10.162.0.

You have Tx power problems, you *know* there are Tx power bugs fixed in that release so common sense/logic says upgrade.  If you still see problems then TAC will take them more seriously because you already have the latest fix installed.  It might be a new bug but you won't know that until you've tried the latest release.

Thanks to rrudling's suggestion, if possible, I will upgrade AP1832 to observe its usage. If there is progress, I will sync here

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card