cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble getting new VLANs to work

bromontana88
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 5508 that has already been configured with VLAN 10 and VLAN 20. VLAN 20 is hosted from the WLC as a guestnet and VLAN 10 from the router. I am trying to configure two new VLANs for two new SSID's (one per SSID). I have the SSID's working. DHCP is working and giving the appropriate IP's but they can not ping their default gateway. Is there a step that I am missing? Any help is appreciated.

Update** I know I was rather vague and I apologize. I have not worked with Cisco Wireless before in this respect and have gotten confused. The guestnet VLAN is hosted on the WLC. The user VLAN is hosted from the router. Would the VLANs I want to create be hosted from the WLC (where I have them now) or from the router like VLAN 10? 

Also, I've noticed the guestnet has physical interfaces that link the WLC to the Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA) while VLAN 10 is linked from the WLC to the switch with its respective physical interfaces. Which one should I be trying to mimic?

Thanks again for any help from my fellow network guru's

5 Replies 5

trunk allow these new VLAN

bromontana88
Level 1
Level 1

Update** I know I was rather vague and I apologize. I have not worked with Cisco Wireless before in this respect and have gotten confused. The guestnet VLAN is hosted on the WLC. The user VLAN is hosted from the router. Would the VLANs I want to create be hosted from the WLC (where I have them now) or from the router like VLAN 10? 

Also, I've noticed the guestnet has physical interfaces that link the WLC to the Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA) while VLAN 10 is linked from the WLC to the switch with its respective physical interfaces. Which one should I be trying to mimic?

Thanks again for any help from my fellow network guru's

Hi what's the WLC model and the code you are running?

It is a cisco 5508

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

WLC cannot route packets. So you need to create all of your VLAN's/Sub interfaces in ASA/Router. If you have a trunk towards WLC, please make sure that all of the user VLAN's along with the management VLAN is allowed.  Then create dynamic interface in WLC that maps a WLAN to the wired vlan or subnet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card