cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to change country code, regulatory domain is correct

SondreSandberg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm unable to change the country code on AIR-AP1815I-E-K9 to ZA (South Africa).

Referencing to this document the regulatory domain is correct: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/prod/wireless/wireless-compliance-tool/index.html

I'm able to change to for example Norway and Sweden. South Africa is enabled as a country code on the WLC (8500 series, 8.5.161.0).

Any tips for how to fix this? I've restarted the AP's without any luck. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Right, I get your point now. So basically all AP's which get registered will update their country to the one configured globally on the controller.

Now in some cases if you have an office in another country and you want to manage that AP from your controller you will have to change the country code of only that AP to work with channels approved specifically to that country since you will only get to purchase an AP approved for the domain of that region. For this, the individual country code has been enabled on all AP's.

Hope this clears your query. The country code basically allots the allowed channels to be used for the AP based on the region.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

I'm confused what you mean by changing the AP to -ZA-? As per the compliance, South Africa uses the European/ETSI domain (-E-) which matches the AP. What do you want to actually change on the AP itself?

Cheers,

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Sorry, I'm a bit new to this field.

I saw the country code option on the AP (under Wireless>All APs > Details for "CAP example" > Advanced) and thought it should match which country it is located in to ensure compliance against channels and power levels for each country.  Am I wrong? If so, what does changing the country code on a AP actually do? 

Hi,

The country code your seeing on your AP is defined by the WLC. You cannot change this configuration on the AP. This can be done only globally on the WLC. You can find this configuration in Wireless > Country.

Hmm..  

I've tested to enable all country codes on the WLC and that works, but I wonder what the specific country code on each AP actually do?

(under Wireless>All APs > Details for "CAP example" > Advanced)

Right, I get your point now. So basically all AP's which get registered will update their country to the one configured globally on the controller.

Now in some cases if you have an office in another country and you want to manage that AP from your controller you will have to change the country code of only that AP to work with channels approved specifically to that country since you will only get to purchase an AP approved for the domain of that region. For this, the individual country code has been enabled on all AP's.

Hope this clears your query. The country code basically allots the allowed channels to be used for the AP based on the region.

Nice, this was my thought, thank you.

Back to my first issue, I have a accesspoint which is registered in the -E- regulatory domain and on the country code I can't change it to South Africa. I see South Africa as a country option since I've enabled it on the controller, but when I change to it nothing happens, it just stays on the originally configured country which is Norway. I can change to for example Sweden without any issues..

Any tips for how to handle that issue?

First, check if South Africa is enabled on the global WLC country config along with other countries. You can select up to only 20 countries at a time.

In case this is already enabled try disabling both your 802.11a/n/c and 802.11b/g/n networks and then change the country code of the AP. 

@joyaljp  Do you mean we need to disable the 802.11a/n/c and 802.11b/g/n Admin Status of the AP and try changing the AP country code ?  or do we need to disable this on the WLC Global parameter and uncheck the Enabled option for 802.11a and 802.11b/g ? and then change country code on the APs  ? 

802.11a Global Parameters 

Hi azeemusman.mca@gmail.com . For changing the country code globally you need to disable the Enabled option for 802.11a and 802.11b/g in WLC global parameters. For individual APs just disable it per AP basis and change the country code.

@joyaljp Thanks much for the detail. I have tried that but it did not worked. the error was "Request failed : Disable AP before configuring country code"

This issue got fixed now, To change the country code on the Access point I have "disabled" the access point Admin Status mode and then changed the country code successfully and again enabled Access point Admin Status mode. " Disabling the AP mode will not bring down the Access point, but it will disable its Radios.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card