cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

under-ceiling storage of AP

hellumsduane
Level 1
Level 1

The fire marshall made us move all our APs out of the ceiling space in Florida. This is the electrician's solution.  Any thoughts on possible signal loss, interference, or other issues we might run into?

Thanks,
Duane

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That doesn't look pretty.

The APs come with ceiling mount hardware if you don't have any you can purchase replacement hardware.

RF wise, it could. Its metal and shiny. But how much of an issue is unknown unless you test aps in a cage and ones outside of a cage. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

Wow, love to see how much they could have saved by going PoE.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That doesn't look pretty.

The APs come with ceiling mount hardware if you don't have any you can purchase replacement hardware.

RF wise, it could. Its metal and shiny. But how much of an issue is unknown unless you test aps in a cage and ones outside of a cage. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Agreed, and understood.  That's the route I would have taken, as well as convert these existing units to PoE.  We weren't informed of the project, unfortunately, until after it was done...  I asked one of my folks down there earlier today to do exactly that, test inside and outside the cage, see if the signal strength bars change, or if our pings change predictably during the tests. 

Wow, love to see how much they could have saved by going PoE.

Exactly! Unfortunately, it wasn't an itemized invoice or (apparently) quote. So we'll never really know. What we do know is they've recently had unexpected and unexplained wifi problems. :)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card