cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding Client Requirements & Provide RFP..

huud
Level 1
Level 1
Hi,

I have academic experience in Cisco networking (no certification), and no industry experience either. I just joined a company as a Junior and have been given the following client requirements for a Wi Fi System to understand and submit a RFP (Request For Proposal) with Bill of Materials.

If anyone can help me understand the client's requirements, due to my lack of experience, would be very much appreciated. This is a continuous document, to make it simpler to understand I have separated it with asterisk with my my questions in (brackets in bold) after the clients requirement which I have bolded as well in each asterisk point.
With all due respect, this is my first networking job and 1st network project as well so I'm looking to gain experience from this project, kindly refrain from passing unnecessary remarks as it will just be a waste of time.

WiFi System

* The Institutes Dublin and Belfast buildings both have public lecture rooms, private office floors and mixed public/private floors in each location, however it is envisaged that the WiFi solution will reside outside the private office networks (does this mean the client wants it as a separate network ?) of each building.

* Please include details on DMZ setup and location of wireless controllers, WiFi Switches and APs (Is the client asking what devices connect to what for example, outer firewall has a separate DMZ network inside which are the AP and switches etc) for each location.

* Access to the Institutes internal networks will require authentication through each office firewall using Global Protect. Please confirm that your proposed solutions will be compatible with this method of access (Did not understand). Each building is protected by a NextGen PaloAlto firewall in both locations.

* The Belfast building is serviced by 100mb circuit, and the Dublin building has an etherflow 1gb circuit. Also, there is a 100mb circuit between the Dublin and Belfast buildings. There is triangulation configured between buildings on the edge routers in order to maintain service in the event of any one of the three circuits failing (I understand till here). For example, if the Dublin/Belfast circuit fails then the edge routers will initiate a cloud-based VPN tunnel and diverse routing will be established to compensate for the failed link (What I understand is that the edge routers will redirect traffic to cloud-based VPN). Please provide details on the wireless controller topology that will take advantage of this enhanced resilience (If somebody can explain what do they mean by take advantage of enhanced resilience).

* It is also envisaged that each building can operate independently in the event of a catastrophic failure in either location (I understand this). Please provide details on how your proposed WiFi topology will achieve this requirement, with emphasis on the placement of wireless controllers, APs and switches (What I understand is they are asking how the redundant equipment will be placed such that if one switch gets damaged a second switch placed elsewhere will takeover ?!).

* There is a requirement to provide wireless controller redundancy for each building in your proposed solution. Please provide details on how this requirement will be achieved (What do they mean by WLC redundancy ?!).

* The Dublin building has a distributed backbone topology with a dual fibre backbone from the mezzanine floor to the dual core switches, Cisco 6500 (one core switch can fail without impacting on network traffic) in the Computer room located on the third floor. Please confirm that each proposed WiFi switch in the stack will be configured with dual power supplies, with in addition, the top and bottom switch in the stack configured with a fibre module for stack backbone redundancy (The only thing I understand from this is they want to know if the switches support fibre connections ?!).

The Belfast building has a star network topology with all switches located on the first floor Computer Room.
* Please note that end user devices of external users are typically provided by their employers and as such any access control should be network switch based as we do not have permission to load VPN software onto third party client devices. It is envisaged that access control should be similar to that provided by hotels, and/or conference venues (Not sure what access system they are talking about).

Capacity, frequency and channel capability are key to the design and commissioning of any proposed solution. It is critical that there is no interference with existing RF equipment, proposed DAS or between APs on any of the building floors. Please provide a schema of channels per device demonstrating no overlap on the floor in question and the immediate floors above and below (Did not understand this).

The following are the floor WiFi concurrent connect capacity requirements that your proposed solution should cater for:

Dublin Building
Floor -1: 4 x Lecture Halls each with a concurrent access capacity of 150 users (600 concurrent users in total) with multiple devices (mobile and Laptop)

Floor 0: Canteen, Study Area, Reception, potentially 300 concurrent user access with multiple devices connecting to the WiFi

Floor 1: 2 x large Lecture Halls and 4 medium sized Tutorial Rooms, allow for 600 concurrent user access with multiple devices

Floor 2: Lecture Halls and Meeting rooms, allow for 200 concurrent user access with multiple devices

Floor 3: Office floor, allow for 150 concurrent user access
Floor 4: Office floor, allow for 150 concurrent user access

Belfast Building
Ground Floor: 2 x Lecture Halls, plus Office and Member Lounge areas, allowing for 400 concurrent user access with multiple devices

1st Floor: Office and Meeting Rooms areas, allowing for 60 concurrent user access with multiple devices
The proposed solutions in each buildings should be standalone and independent from internal networks and provide the necessary fault redundant WiFi dedicated switches, APs and Wireless controllers to achieve this requirement.

There is a requirement to provide the number of APs proposed for each floor, detailed at a Lecture Hall, Meeting Room and Office Area for both the Dublin and Belfast buildings.

In addition, please provide the number of WiFi switches (including stack configuration) (What is meant by stack configuration mean ?)and wireless controllers proposed for each building.

Thanks in advance.
8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@huud wrote:
Dublin Building
Floor -1: 4 x Lecture Halls each with a concurrent access capacity of 150 users (600 concurrent users in total) with multiple devices (mobile and Laptop)

Floor 0: Canteen, Study Area, Reception, potentially 300 concurrent user access with multiple devices connecting to the WiFi

Floor 1: 2 x large Lecture Halls and 4 medium sized Tutorial Rooms, allow for 600 concurrent user access with multiple devices

Floor 2: Lecture Halls and Meeting rooms, allow for 200 concurrent user access with multiple devices

Floor 3: Office floor, allow for 150 concurrent user access
Floor 4: Office floor, allow for 150 concurrent user access

All I can say is your company is setting you up to fail

The above RFQ is a dead give-away.  In the wireless profession, a wireless site survey to be conducted.   There is no room for guessing games.

Thanks,

I was hoping to have answers to the ones that are more generic in nature.

1 - Can I know if the AP's restrict number of devices that can connect simultaneously or can this be set via software, and is there load balancing capability in the WLC.

2 - If the above is true, how can I determine the total number of AP, WLC, and switches (with redundancy) and keeping in mind that each switch has 24/48 ports and considering multiple-floors since the switches have to accommodate WLC, APs, and interconnection between switches  as well (taking the given number of concurrent users to be correct).

3 - From my understanding a cloud based routing VPN is simply a VPN connection between the 2 firewalls running in the cloud, am I correct in understanding this.

Also I attached a DMZ setup if someone could advise if that is a suitable DMZ setup.

I'm seeking general understanding so I have something to propose at the very least.

Thanks..

@huud wrote:

1 - Can I know if the AP's restrict number of devices that can connect simultaneously or can this be set via software, and is there load balancing capability in the WLC.

There is a setting to restrict how many wireless clients an authenticated single user can get registered (not includes PSK).  I am going to say this sort of mentality won't work.  The wireless client will make the ultimate choice which AP to join.  Restricting how many wireless client an AP can have will only blow up in someone's face.  I've seen it too many times, I sit back with a bag of popcorns and watch the fireworks.  It can be very entertaining. 

@huud wrote:

how can I determine the total number of AP, WLC, and switches (with redundancy) and keeping in mind that each switch has 24/48 ports and considering multiple-floors since the switches have to accommodate WLC, APs, and interconnection between switches  as well (taking the given number of concurrent users to be correct).

If no one knows how to deploy wireless, get an integrator to do it.  By the time the company finds and/or trains someone else to do it, it will be too late and the budget has already been blown un-ncessarily. 

Thanks for clarifying that.

On the same note I wanted to know which approach is better.

On the Ground and 1st floor the combined number of AP's is 7 as its an open area with minimal-to-no obstruction and the number of users do not exceed 300.

1 - Understanding that WLC and AP's both connect to switches, and in this case the same switch. My question being is it better to have 2 WLC (1 per floor) and then connect them to 2 switches via 1 uplink per switch as seen below.

OR

2 - Can I do it with 1 WLC connected to 1 or 2 switch(es) for redundancy.

I'm more inclined to the the 1st option simple for better redundancy.

Any valuable thoughts.

Thanks..

Connect the AP to the same floor switch. Each floor switch has a primary and secondary uplink to the core/distro.
WLC will have a primary and secondary link to the same core or distro switch in an etherchannel.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Very much helpful in determining placement of equipment and connectivity.

Could I just know the general guidelines for planning for catastrophic events.

And

What do they mean by "Please provide details on the wireless controller topology that will take advantage of this enhanced resilience".

Appreciate all the help, thanks.

That depends on interpretation.
Some like putting a WLC at every site. Some would like to do FLEX. Others local.

Appreciate that, thanks a lot..

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card