Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding "Paper License" on WLC 5508 for 50 APs

prafranc1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

I am working on a deployment recently WLC 5508 (Primary and Secondary - HA) for a client.

They have purchased "Paper license" for 50 Access Points. (I was not the one who initially configured the license)

I could see the license count as 25/25 only. Now to activate the WLC for 50 APs the client doesn't have any email from cisco regarding the license.

All they have is paper license that is a bunch of certificiates...... there are unique serial numbers in each of the license certificates they have got.

Kindly someone help me how to proceed with this....  please find the below results "show license summary" (This was taken before i configured HA using the RP)

Also I could see in the license certificates : " Cisco ONE Foundation Perpetual - Wireless"

Kindly hlep me guys....

Primary 5508 WLC> sh license summary

License Store: Primary Licene Storage
Store Index:  0  Feature: base                    Version 1.0
    License Type: Permanent
    Lincense State: Active, Not in Use
    License Count : Non-Counted
    License Priority: Medium
License Store: Primary License Storage
StoreIndex:  1  Feature: base-ap-count                Version 1.0
    License State: Active, In Use
    License Count: 25/25 (Active/In-use)
License Store: Evaluation License Storage
StoreIndex: 0   Feature: base-ap-count                Version 1.0
    License Type: Evaluation
    License State: Inactive
        Evaluation total period:    8 weeks 4 days
        Evaluation period left :   8 weeks  3 days
        License Count: 500 / 0 (Active/In-use)
    License Priority: Low

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondary 5508 WLC> sh license summary

License Store: Primary Licene Storage
Store Index:  0  Feature: base                    Version 1.0
    Lincense State: Active, Not in Use
    License Count : Non-Counted
License Store: Evaluation License Storage
StoreIndex: 0   Feature: base-ap-count                Version 1.0
    License Type: Evaluation
    License State: Active, Not in Use, EULA not accepted
        Evaluation total period:    8 weeks 4 days
        Evaluation period left :   8 weeks  3 days
        License Count: 500 / 0 (Active/In-use)
    License Priority: None

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

you must have PAK number., to get the.lic file to install on WLC,

Use the licensing portal to register the PAK as follows:

1. Go to http://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/Licensing/PrivateRegistrationServlet
2. On the main Product License Registration page, enter the PAK mailed with the certificate in the Product Authorization Key (PAK) text box and click Submit.
3. On the Validate Features page, enter the number of licenses that you want to register in the Qty text box and click Update.
4. To determine the controller’s product ID and serial number, choose Controller > Inventory on the controller GUI or enter the show license udi command on the controller CLI.
On the Designate Licensee page, enter the product ID and serial number of the controller on which you plan to install the license, read and accept the conditions of the end-user license agreement (EULA), complete the rest of the text boxes on this page, and click Submit.

5. On the Finish and Submit page, verify that all information is correct and click Submit.
6. When a message appears indicating that the registration is complete, click Download License. The license is emailed within 1 hour to the address that you specified.
7. When the email arrives, follow the instructions provided.
8. Copy the license file to your TFTP server.

then see how to install a license on WLC:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-0/configuration/guide/c70/c70ccfg.html#14813

Regards

Don't forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

prafranc1
Level 1
Level 1

Please help me friends...

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

you must have PAK number., to get the.lic file to install on WLC,

Use the licensing portal to register the PAK as follows:

1. Go to http://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/Licensing/PrivateRegistrationServlet
2. On the main Product License Registration page, enter the PAK mailed with the certificate in the Product Authorization Key (PAK) text box and click Submit.
3. On the Validate Features page, enter the number of licenses that you want to register in the Qty text box and click Update.
4. To determine the controller’s product ID and serial number, choose Controller > Inventory on the controller GUI or enter the show license udi command on the controller CLI.
On the Designate Licensee page, enter the product ID and serial number of the controller on which you plan to install the license, read and accept the conditions of the end-user license agreement (EULA), complete the rest of the text boxes on this page, and click Submit.

5. On the Finish and Submit page, verify that all information is correct and click Submit.
6. When a message appears indicating that the registration is complete, click Download License. The license is emailed within 1 hour to the address that you specified.
7. When the email arrives, follow the instructions provided.
8. Copy the license file to your TFTP server.

then see how to install a license on WLC:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-0/configuration/guide/c70/c70ccfg.html#14813

Regards

Don't forget to rate helpful posts

Thanks a lot Sandeep....

I'll install following this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card