Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade cisco WiSM running in HA mode

aleopoldie
Level 3
Level 3

Hello everyone,

I have to upgrade a VSS (2 chassis 6509 WiSM that are in HA mode) to code 8.0.110.0

If I upgrade the active one, the second one will be also upgraded ? Just like for the 5508 models ? Or do I need to break the HA, upgrade both WLCs and then configure the HA again ?

Is there some particular things i need to know for this upgrade ? I never did an upgrade on Cisco WiSM...

Thank you by advance,

Alexis.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The process will automatically push the firmware to the ACTIVE.  Once the active unit is done, the process will then push the firmware to the HOT STANDBY unit.  Once done, a reboot is required.

Since you're doing the upgrade, why not go to 8.0.115.0 instead?  

And don't forget to read the Release Notes.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The process will automatically push the firmware to the ACTIVE.  Once the active unit is done, the process will then push the firmware to the HOT STANDBY unit.  Once done, a reboot is required.

Since you're doing the upgrade, why not go to 8.0.115.0 instead?  

And don't forget to read the Release Notes.

Hello Leo Laohoo,

1st : thank you for your fast feedback.

2nd : To answer for the software, 8.0.110.0 is the recommanded version on Cisco website, that's why we prefer to take the 8.0.110.0 one. What do you think ?

I want to avoid some bugs which can be related to the 8.0.115.0 version because the WiSM is installed for one of our customers and it's a very big Wifi infrastructure...

Regards,

You have to be careful when you say its the recommended code.  There have been many recommended code versions that are now deferred.  v8.0.x is pretty risky still and if you review some of the post, you can also see that people are having issues with random reboots.  

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yes that's true. But for Cisco, it's the recommanded one. I saw many issues concerning random reboots... My problem is this customer bought Cisco AP1700 series, which need the code 8.0.x, that's right ?

This is the reason why they asked us to upgrade the WiSM.

Alex'

It depends on whom you talk to if its recommended or not.  You don't look at what is posted on the downloads as that is not going to tell you how stable your environment will be.  Recommended code versions change so much and its due to the length of time the code has been out.  As far as the AP1700's, yes you are stuck on the v8.0 and to be honest, thats when you need to use the latest code, because in reality, the older codes had issues.

-Scott

-Scott

Thanks for your feedback Scott Fella.

Anyway I don't have the choice to use the 8.0.110.0 or 8.0.115.0 code, but I'm still wondering which one I should choose... I will check both release notes. Do you have some advises concerning these 2 codes ? If you already tested them with APs 1700 ?

Regards,

Alex'

v8.0.115.0 is what I would use in any of my environments that require the v8.0.x. We have ran into some issue with v8.0.110.0 that had us use a TAC release. v8.0.115.0 has fixed some of the issues we were seeing, but v8.0.115.0 is new to even say if it's a stable code or not.  What you would have to keep an eye out with any issues and report that to TAC. This way fixes can be released in newer code or TAC releases. 

-Scott

-Scott

Unless there is a reason to be on 8.0.x, I would stay one back 7.6.130.0. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Yes our customer bought 1700 APs which only run with 8.0 code version...

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts, Alexis.  :)

No problem, Thank YOU :)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card