cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading WLC from 2504-3504

roo54
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2504 WLC running 8.5.171.0 which, because it is EOL, must be upgraded. We have a 3504 that is going to replace it. My plan is to move the 3504 from whatever version of software it is on to 8.5.171.0, take a backup of the 2504, apply that to the 3504, then upgrade the 3504 to the latest version. I don't believe I need to use the convertor, as the two WLCs run the same software.

If I do the above, I believe I should just be able to remove the 2504, install the 3504 and it should "just work".

Does this sound resonable, are there pitflls I should look out for?

12 Replies 12

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- "just work" may a  a bit too much to ask , for starters on the new controller use and or look at : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/wireless-lan-controller-software/200046-tac-recommended-aireos.html  , you  can probably  export and import the config from the old controller , some network addresses may need to be changed , have configuration validation check using this procedure : https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-knowledge-base/show-the-complete-configuration-without-breaks-pauses-on-cisco/ta-p/3115114#toc-hId-1039672820  , save the output to a file and have it analyzed (upload it) with :
                                          https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thanks very much for your advice!

I'll follow your suggestons....there may be supplimental questions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Also adding : on the long term the aireos based controllers are 'doomed' ; you may want to consider the 9800 platforms where you can also start with the virtual (and or cloud based)  solutions, for instance ,  

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

You raise a very valid point, and one which I had already mentioned to those responsible....but there is a 3504 sitting on a shelf in the stores, that needs no budget, so it will have the last few months of use eked out of it.

toddhsimmons
Level 1
Level 1

roo54,

I don't work on the smaller controllers much, but the architecture changed from the 2504 to the 3504 so you cannot do a straight copy and paste for the configs. There are changes with the encryption and how the ports are configured.  If it was me, I would use the WLC Config Converter at https://cway.cisco.com/wlc-config-converter/ 

You will need to get the output from this command:  show run-config startup-commands

1. SSH/Serial into the current 2504 controller
  2. config paging disable
  3. show run-config startup-commands

Hope this helps,

Todd

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the info. I, like you, generaly work on the larger WLCs, hence my lack of knowledge on the little boxes. However, you said " the architecture changed from the 2504 to the 3504 ". This seems at odds with the fact that they both run the same software, which is AireOS, and if I ensure that they are both on the same revision, I thought I could just copy the config. Marce1000 above seems to suggest the same.

However, your caution is timely and I have had a look at the config convertor, which isn't telling me positively one way or the other. I'm getting the running config later and will put it through the convertor and see what comes out.

The other thing that is puzzling is that there are other "upgrade" questions in this community which seem to suggest that I can do as I planned...basically, I will just go through all the facts till I'm comfortable....its a pity the kit is near EOS, I'll learn all about it and then never use the knowledge again

Thanks

Roo

>...I thought I could just copy the config
  - It might be that native config copy won't work as @toddhsimmons  explains if the config-encryption works different between the two models , then you better just save the output of 'show run-config' and import kind of manually on the new model (again) ; I don't see any need for  https://cway.cisco.com/wlc-config-converter/ 
                        In any case use WirelessAnalyzer always as I explained in my first reply (to have a sanity check if the intended configuration on the 3504).

M.

roo54
Level 1
Level 1

I looked at the converter options,

roo54_0-1680790029414.png

None of them look particularly attractive because the situation is AireOS -->AireOS, or it will be because I will have the source and destination boxes on the same software revision. I ran AireOS-->AireOS(5520/8540) as being the nearest to what I want, but is threw out a lot of lines with the comment "Following configurations are encrypted on a 5508; 5520 can't understand them. Please consider reconfiguring them", but as this is not a 55xx, that's to be expected.

There looks to be two S/W trains, 8,5 Main Line and 8.5 IRCM....I think the version I have (8.5.171.0) is main line, but I'm not sure what that tells me. I'll dig some more over the next couple of days, but if any of you guys have good ideas, I'm listening. The issue with this is I have to do it remotely (a continent away!) so I'll only get one go at it and I can't afford to disable the users.

Thanks for your help so far

Roo

roo54
Level 1
Level 1

I had a look at the convertor options

roo54_0-1680792464200.png

none of them look like what I need, because since I will be putting both 2504 and 3504 on the same software revision, what I really want is 2504 AireOS to 3504 AireOS, but of course that is not an option. The 2504 is running 8.5.171.0 at the moment,, not sure if thats mainline 5.5 or IRCM 8.5, or what difference that makes. I'm going to investigate further, the issue being that this is a remote migration, I will be a continent away and so I only get one chance to get it right, and I don't want to interrupt users so I have to be sure of the process

If you have any more thoughts, I'd be glad to hear them, this is turning "interesting"!

Thanks

Roo

- As I said earlier , the convertor is not applicable in this case ; keep it simple and use the 'ascii copy' as I explained earlier; certainly parameters will need to be changed related to basic network configuration (on the new network)  

.>....so I only get one chance to get it right
  As I said also , then make sure the WirelessAnalyzer procedure is part of the installation process before 'production release' , 

M.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I don't know those small models either but my main concern would be different port name/numbering.
As the architecture changed there might also be some feature differences.
Like Todd said I would copy/paste "show run-config startup-commands" output watching for any changes and you might need to re-enter any encrypted PSK/TACACS/radius keys and watch for those port changes.

Yes 8.5.171.0 is mainline.  IRCM is developed specifically to allow mobility/interworking with 9800 WLCs and must only be used for that.
TAC recommended code link below.  Depending on AP models you'll need to upgrade to 8.5.182.7 or possibly 8.10.185.0 once you've done the switchover.  If you want to extend support a bit then you need 8.10.185.0, as 8.5 code is already EOL.

Thanks for all suggestion, the job was finally completed the hard way: get the second WLC on line, manually inspect the config of the old one, manually configure the new one the same, then shut the old one down, and make the new one look the same as the old one....including telling the WLC about the change to it's guest anchor. Not clever, not quick, but safe...once again, thanks for all comments and advice!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card