Views
Helpful
Replies

URL ACL & vWLC

Vladyslav Kmet
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

We are planning to use Captive Portal for our guest Wi-Fi and have one inconvenience
The documentation says that the virtual controller doesn't support ACLs for names instead of IP addresses, but documentation hasn't been updated for several years, so I wonder if it's still relevant ?
Maybe there are some modern ways in virtual WLC to manage pre-authentication ACL with names instead of large IPs list ( Many servers for SSO with a third-party provider ) ?

Will be appreciate for any updates

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Not sure what controller platform(s) you are using  ; either 9800 or aireos based ?

I found from https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-8/b_cisco_mobility_express_8_8.pdf
   >...Starting release 8.7, one can configure DNSPre-Auth ACLs as well asIPv4 based pre-auth ACLs on a WLAN.
A maximum of 20 URL rules per ACL are supported and size of each URL is maximum of 255 characters.
Wildcards are supported in the URL as well.

Not sure if this is applicable to the Captive Portal context as well ,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

We use Standalone Controllers ( Virtual one on 8.5 software )
The documentation for the latest version says that this isn't available for virtual platforms ( It can be seen on the screenshot )
Looks like it's only really available for hardware platforms, one of which you mentioned above

However, I would be grateful for tips if there is another way without a hardware upgrade

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card