cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Users cannot rejoin wireless network automatically

wfqk
Level 5
Level 5

Hi several users cannot rejoin wireless network automatically once their devices drop off the network. I doubt if this is wireless network issue. Anyone knows if this could be wireless network issue? Thank you

9 Replies 9

Hi

This can be as simples as enable "connect automatically" on the adapter config or more complicated if the desconnection follows some reason like authentication failure attempt. On this case the WLC can black list the client due excessive attempt.

Which authentication method are you using?

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

They use WPA+WPA2, PSK

Where can we see or check the black list? Thank you

I don't believe you can and this action don't take too long and PSK is not the case as users don't need to type the credentials all the times. This behavior I mentioned is more suitable for 802.1x.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@wfqk wrote:

several users cannot rejoin wireless network automatically once their devices drop off the network.

This statement is really of no use.  

There is no error message.  The description of the problem is so broad.  

Has anyone done a debug with the people having issues?

Is Client Exclusion enabled? 

Has anyone done a debug with the people having issues?  "

no, what kind of debug ? thanks

Is Client Exclusion enabled? "

no

Run a debug on the client Mac address.  You can see excluded clients in the main Monitor page in the GUI.  From my experience, make sure you are not using WPA and WPA2 or AES and TKIP on the plan as that would cause this type of issue.  Also enabling too many features on the WLAN can cause issues with client connecting.  On the client side, look at the driver version and see if there is similarities to devices having issues or not.  

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

@Scott Fella wrote:

From my experience, make sure you are not using WPA and WPA2 or AES and TKIP on the plan as that would cause this type of issue.   

Can you explain it? thanks

Hello

This issues could be caused for several configuration changes: romaing, load balancing, etc...

I recommend to run some debugs directly on the WLC via CLI and tr to reproduce the issue to see which is the error you are receiving (maybe the users are joined to the network but DHCP failure)...

To run the debug on the WLC you can use the command :

debug client <mac address>

and see which kind of record you have. I think with the information you  provided it will be quite difficult to find the root cause.

regards

The rule of thumb is to not mix the encryption.  These days, majority of devices will support WPA2/AES and that is what should be defined.  With a mix of encryption, devices will choose one and the AP will get confused per say and will reject devices.  If the case is that you have mixed encryption, you will need to delete the profiles on the device and recreate after you make the change on the WLAN.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card