Views
Helpful
Replies

Using 1552s Accesso Points for 1.2 Km point to multipoint

fabiocossar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone  ,

I have to buid a point to multipoint link using Cisco 1552 AP . This link is 1,2 Km .

Could someone help me to find the best antennas solution ?  Point A could use directional antenna , Point B must have omni antenna ( it has to reach other areas too ) .

There is an almost free LOS , 54 Mbps could be enought as bandwidht .

Could I use the 3 antennas models  to cover different path ,  i.e. 1 directional between A and B and 1 omni from B to other points ?

Thanks

Regards

Fabio

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please use this excel file to determine if using an omni on one end and a directional on the other will work for you.  

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1550/range/calculator/1552_Link_Calculator_V1.xls

Also, you can't mix the antennas to cover different path's since the AP is using diversity.  You would need three AP's if you want to cover three different paths using directional for example.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you Scott , I made a simulation with the excell file you suggested .

The result is that using  a 16 dB directional antenna on one side and a 7 dB omni antenna on the other I should be able to get a link with data rate36 Mbps or MCS10 at 40 Mhz ( 81 Mbps ) .

This should do the job , if the theory could meet the reality .

Just one more question : which kind of high gain antenna should I use ?

Thanks again

Fabio

According to document, the Cisco Aironet 1552S use three Cisco AIR-ANT2547V-N-HZ antennas. These dual-band, omnidirectional, stick antennas have a gain of 4 dBi (2.4 GHz) and 7 dBi (5 GHz) and are IP66 rated for robustness in corrosive environments.

The Cisco Aironet 1552S also uses two Cisco AIR-ANT2450V-N-HZ antennas for the 802.15.4 diversity radios. These 2.4-GHz band omnidirectional, stick antennas have a gain of 5 dBi and are IP66 rated.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card