Views
Helpful
Replies

Using both external and internal DHCP on WLC

Hi,

I am wondering if the folowing is a valid configuration:

WLC2504

AP2600

I need 3 SSID/VLAN, 1 for corporate devices, 1 for coporate smartphones, 1 for guest.

Port 1 on the 2504 should be used for management and corporate devices and connect to the corp network.

Port 2 is for smartphones/guest and will be connected to a Cisco ASA 5515 that is connected to a second ISP.

Corp devices should get IP from an Windows DHCP. Smartphones/guest should get IP from the WLC.

Is this possilbe? I read this in a document "To use the WLC as a dhcp, you need to enable DHCP proxy as it is required." Some how I am imagining that this will mess with the Windows DHCP. Is it better to use the ASA as DHCP for smartphones/guest?

Regards,

Philip

4 Replies 4

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ASA as dhcp server require dhcp proxy disabled on wlc.

Internal dhcp on wlc require dhcp proxy enabled on wlc.

windows dhcp server can work with dhcp proxy disabled or enabled on wlc.

Carlos Leiton
Level 1
Level 1

I would recommend to use:

Microsoft DHCP server and WLC internal server, both with the DHCP proxy enabled.

The other option:

ASA DHCP server and WLC internal DHCP will not work, as the WLC DHCP proxy is a global feature, and needs to be either enabled or disabled, so it will only work for the ASA (disabled) or for the WLC internal DHCP (enabled) but not for both at the same time.

I just had a second thought on this and is not sure that it will work. If I put the mobile/guest SSID on port 2 it will only be broadcast out those ports right?

This is how I wanted it connected originaly:

AP-SW-WLC-Firewall

But the port connected to the switch must allso have the mobile/guest WLAN right? Else the AP won't broadcast it right?

The AP tunnels traffic back to the management interface. So if you want to split the traffic after it goes back to the WLC you can. You need to trunk the ports and only allow what vlans on the trunk port. So if your management and corp users are going to be put in port one connected to a switch, then only allow the management vlan and the corp vlan on that trunk port. For the mobile and guest using port 2, only allow those a vlans on the trunk connected to your DMZ.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card