cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using mDNS in 7.4

larsenc
Level 1
Level 1

We are attempting to use mDNS to provide airplay for our ipad clients and it is working but there dosen't appear to be a way to trim bonjour requests between interfaces/VLANs, is this correct?   Today we have one WLAN using WPA2/AES with a default interface AND we are using AAA override.  So as the users authenticate they are assigned to one of several different wireless interfaces (hence different vlan) depending on Radis server response. 

In mDNS we setup several profiles and assigned different profiles to differnet interfaces (for example building "A" has two interfaces, 10 (wireless), 11 (wired) and both are assigned to same bulidingA mDNS profile).  Now to get mDNS to start working it appears we need to also turn on mDNS Snooping in the WLAN which we do but now all profiles share all mDNS info between all profiles which use the the same WLAN....   We had hoped to trim bonjour to stay with in each assigned profile but from our testing it is not working, should it?  Is their another optoin?   In some info I saw they suggested setting more than on WLAN with the same SSID but in our case where we use AAA override I am not sure how this will help...

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well you can create a new WLAN with a different profile name but the same ssid.. I never really cared about having multiple mDNS profiles like what your doing though.  But you can create multiple of the same SSID and apply that mDNS profile to that.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott,

Don't know how this will help??  We have 14 buildings but we use the same SSID for the whole campus and I don't want all the airplay devices showing up in all buildings (would be 100's of them) so I was hoping to trim the bonjour traffic based on mDNS profiles (think vlans)...so if you have suggestion on how to trim the bonjour traffice would be great to get your suggestion.

Yeah I don't know about that.... iOS 6.1 broke my airplay and can't even get that working or else I would test it:)

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Scott,

We just picked up a couple Apple TVs yesterday and have been trying to get them working.  We have 3602 Aps with a 5508 wlc.  After struggling for a while, one of my colleagues hadn't updated his iPad to 6.1.  He had 6.0.1 and it connected just fine with that.  I tried to put my iPad on the same SSID and subnet as the Apple TV and nothing worked.  Then I disabled the mDNS snooping feature and it started working with no problem (while in the same subnet).  It didn't work outside of the same subnet.  It also quit working after re-enabling the mDNS snooping.  It seems that 6.1 has changed something in AirPlay that the Wlc isn't liking.

Have you found a fix for it yet?  Is it a software bug or configuration issue?

Thanks.

Hi Topher; we have experiences the same issues that you and Scott have.  On a flat network with no wlc, iOS 6.1 works fine for airplay mirroring.  Once we move to the wlc based vlans, there is nothing for airplay mirroring or itunes audio/video mirroring.  The photo's app will output to the appletv, but nothing else does.

Has anyone come across a fix for this yet?

Thanks

Well for the mirror and if you have a WLC running v7.4, makes sure your mDNS profile has the AirTunes service enabled on it. That will get your mirroring to work. It works for me. Now home sharing is broke:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

afeind
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure about iOS 6.1 but we are having the same issue with the profiles and bonjour.  The only fix currently available is to use AP groups and put your AP's and any bonjour devices on the same VLAN.  Technically you are supposed to be able to do this across a routed L3 link with H-REAP and an AP group but I have not yet tested this (tomorrow hopefully).  We have tested AP groups by putting the SSID and the bonjour device on the vlan where we want the broadcast and it works just fine. 

We are using airserver on PC's and we are working on moving their wired vlan to the same vlan as the AP grouped SSID in the remote building - not pretty and very time consuming but I don't believe there is another fix (currently) unless you want all AP's to see all bonjour traffic.

I discussed this with my AM and they hope the business unit will have a profile or acl group that will trim or limit the bonjour broadcast between a vlan and a particular AP group.  I hope they get a new version out quickly to fix this as it really isn't a good solution for bonjour the way it is currently configured.

It seems like the profiles would have been the fix but they are really just for what services are broadcast from what vlan - not to trim traffic between vlan's and ap groups.   Seems like the programmer didn't ask the user what they really needed to me.

afeind
Level 1
Level 1

Everyone,

Flexconnect (previously known as HREAP) does fix the bonjour mdns for remote branch offices and other vlan's where you want bonjour to be running. 

It is a PITA to set up on the AP along with the WLAN but it works and you can conquer your bonjour traffic using it appropriately. 

You only have to flexconnect the wired and wireless WLAN SSID where you need it as the rest of the SSID's can be centrally switched WLAN"s and they work quite nicely.

I am NOT looking forward to touching 250 AP's and setting them up however but since bonjor trimming is a must it is something that we will have to do.

Please let me know if you need any help with this as we have it completely working.

Adam

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card