cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

V9800 FlexConnect WLAN Mapping - Interface Group

sejamc71
Level 1
Level 1

AT our main facility, we have 4 buildings side by side. We have 3 wireless vlans in an interface group on the 5508 WLC.  People will take a tablet and use it in all of the buildings on different days. That tablets are joined to our wireless network via the MAC Filtering function of the WLC. The APs in the 4 blds are in Local mode. On the MAC Filtering config, the interface points to the Interface group consisting of the 3 wireless vlans. This allows the tablets to be on wireless and the IP that the tablet receives to be used at all 4 of the bldgs without any changes.

We are fixing to upgrade to a pair of v9800-CLs and have been told that on the v9800s, throughput is limited to 2.1gb when APs are configured in Local Mode and that I should consider reconfiguring the Local Mode APs FlexConnect mode. My current issue is that in FlexConnect Mode, the WLAN to VLAN ID mapping requires a specific ID rather than an Interface Group of 3 VLans. I could assign each bldg a specific wireless vlan, but then the tablets would only be able to be used at a specific bldg unless I changed the interface it was pointing to under the WLC MAC Filtering configuration.

On the FlexConnect group config, under WLAN VLAN mapping, how do I do a WLAN mapping so that the WLAN is mapped to the Interface Group? This is required because wireless devices go to all of the different buildings and can't be tied to a single subnet.

2 Replies 2

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In Flexconnect mode each client is dropped off into a specific VLAN out of the back of the AP.

If you are using the same VLAN ID accross the buildings then you can use different subnets - although roaming wont be seamless as the client will need to get a new IP address. And its dependant on each building having its own SVI for the VLAN.

The other option is to map each buildings Flexconnect Profile to a different VLAN ID and have seperate policy profiles per building to assign the right VLAN but again no seamless roaming.

Local mode has the option to do multiple vlans per vlan group to effectively do the same as interface groups but then you have the WLC throughput limitations - if these are even going to be an issue

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

We are doing L2 switching between the buildings so would not be able to use same vlan ID with different subnet unfortunately.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card