cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Very Aggressive Data Rate Limiting?

roger perkin
Level 2
Level 2

I am doing some work for a client and reviewing the wireless controller 5508 with 3702 AP's

The Data rates have been limited to to only a very few 

802.11a/n/ac - 48Mbps supported 54Mbps Mandatory 

802.11b/g/n - 48Mbps supported 54Mbps Mandatory 

I have never seen data rates limited so hard. 

Is this going to create a very small cell size?

I would normaly only disable the data rate up to 11Mbps (b/g/n) and 9Mbps (a/n/ac) 

Can anyone advise on these settings and any possible reason to limit it so hard?

Thanks

Roger

2 Replies 2

Yes, I would not do like this. 

In my network I have 12Mpbs & 24Mbps as mandatory and all other higher speeds allowed. Below 12Mbps, all disabled. If it is dense environment I would disable 12Mpbs as well.

HTH

Rasika

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

• You must carefully plan the process to disable or enable data rates. If your coverage is sufficient, it is often a good idea to slowly disable lower data rates one by one. Management frames like ACK or beacons will be sent at the lowest mandatory rate (typically 1Mbps) which slows down the whole throughput.

• It is also good to try not to have too many supported data rates so that clients downshifts their rate faster. Typically clients try to send at the fastest data rate they can and if the frame did not make it through, will retransmit at 1 data rate below that and so on until it goes through. The removal of some supported rates means that clients who retransmit a frame directly downshift several data rates, which increases the chance for the frame to go through at the second attempt.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/wlc/82463-wlc-config-best-practice.html#pgfId-380239

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card