Helpful
Replies

Virtual Wireless controller - AP joining issue

kweevuss1
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone,

I hope this is the correct sub-forum:

I am working on taking my Cisco CCNA wireless exam in the future, and I was trying out the virtual WLC.  I am having trouble getting an AP to join to the controller. I have the virtual WLC running in esxi with 2 NICs.  This is connected into a 3560, and then there is a trunk going from the 3560 to a 2600 to do routing.  

I am getting this error on the vWLC: *spamApTask0: Jan 25 19:41:52.235: #LWAPP-3-DISC_INTF_ERR2: spam_lrad.c:1689 Ignoring discovery request received on a wrong VLAN (48) on interface (1) in L3 LWAPP mode from AP 00:1b:0c:92:c5:d2

I really am confused by the error because I don't have vlan 48 identified on any part of the configuration.  

The vWLC config is:

the service ip 172.16.20.30

the management ip 172.16.30.10 (this is interface 1 in the vWLC)

The switch config is here: http://pastebin.com/nsJEyLfV

The router config is here: http://pastebin.com/FevXGuGe

Thanks!

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the exact model of the AP and what country code is configured?

What firmware is the vWLC running?

Sorry it took me so long. I found out that the 1131's need a special version of code before they will join a vWLC.

it has to be c1130-k9w8-tar.124-25e.JAM or greater just in case anyone finds this in the future. 

I have exactly the same problem. I just transfer my AP on virtual controller and "fun" begin...

AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9 model is Ok

AIR-LAP1252AG-A-K9 model have that problem of VLAN(48)

But only one of my 1252AG is joingin correctly, very weird

Just to know where I can download the JAM image??

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Error Message    %LWAPP-3-DISC_INTF_ERR2: Ignoring discovery request received on a 
wrong VLAN ([dec]) on interface ([int]) in L3 LWAPP mode 

Explanation    A discovery request from an AP was ignored because it was received on an invalid interface. Network configuration might be invalid.

Recommended Action    Check the network configuration to ensure that packets from the AP are correctly routed.

bartoranje
Level 1
Level 1

Took me a while to figure this one out. I had a vWLC runing with an AP joined and the next day (shut down the lab for the night) no joining and this vlan 48 again. Drove me nuts!

I have noticed that every time you restart the vWLC you may need to agree to the license agreement (again). When on the monitor page 0 AP supported is shown this message 'VLAN (48)' can come up. Goto (on the vWLC) Management, Software activation, Licenses, base-ap-count and set the prio to low will make the license agreement pop-up. If you agree and apply the monitor page should report 200 accesspoints supported. The AP will be joining the vWLC if all is well (time in sync, country codes in sync, correct image in the AP and certificates still before their end date).

Hope this will help you or anyone else :)

That should not really be necessary. The only reason I can think of why this happened in your case is related to bug CSCun11124. Is there a chance that your vWLC got booted from another host? If so could you check if your current release is being effected?

I am running vWLC 8.0.115.0 on an ESXi 6.0.0 (2494585) in VMware Workstation 11.1.0 (2496824). Managed from vSphere 6.0.0 (2502222), all local on my Windows 7 machine.

Booting this morning (after shutting down yesterday with 200 APs supported) I start the vWLC from powerdown the license is returned to 0 APs.

A reboot (of the vWLC) after agree with the EULA will save the config and the 200 APs are still supported.

Shutting down (and starting) vSphere and booting the vWLC will still have the 200 APs supported.

Shutting down (and starting) the VM Workstation and the ESXi; boot the vWLC via vSphere will still not trigger the issue, 200 APs supported.

Shutting down my local Windows 7 machine and booting up again; 200 APs supported.

Will leave my machine shut down tonight / till tomorrow (wait for the date to roll over) and see what tomorrow brings; 0 or 200 APs supported :)

EDIT: The license seems to stick for now, still 200 APs supported. Will try to see what triggered the bump back to 0 (if this happens again).

I cannot thank you enough!!!!

I literally wasted 15 hours trying to resolve this issue and 15 minutes after reading your post, my 3502i was working with my controller.

<snarky comment to Cisco removed by user>

And BTW, I am not using vmotion.  ESXi 5 on a standalone server, so the bug is not valid for my case.

I couldn't be more greatful I found this post. I basically spent almost 3 hours trying to figure this issue out. Thanks bartoranje for your good eye to details

Same here, running version 8.0.121.0 and ESXI5.5 .. scratching my head wondering 'why vlan 48' when I don't even have vlan 48 configured anywhere! If it has a problem with licensing I wish it would prompt as such not some random vlan error. Annoying. It took me to find this post to realize I had forgotten to activate the evaluation license.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card