cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Issue

shanemooney
Level 1
Level 1

I am working with an Aironet 1200 and creating multiple VLAN's for user groups with different security settings. The problem I am having is that I can only get the clients on VLAN 1 working as the native. I can not get any of the clients to connect to the other VLAN's. They see the AP but do not connect. I have even set the other VLAN's to open no authentication needed. If I switch which VLAN is native the clients on that particular VLAN will work. No switch is in use and the router is non-cisco. Any assistance would be appreciated.

9 Replies 9

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

SO, if I'm reading right, you have a free-standing AP with several VLANS and clients (other than on the Native VLAN) can't associate (or associate and can't talk to each other)?

OR

You have an AP with VLANs directly connected to a (non-cisco) router and no traffic is passing to the router?

First, verify that you have Dot1q trunking enabled on the AP and the router.

Next, there is a setting (but I don't remember where off of the top of my head) for "allow client-to-client communication." Verify that setting. Probably the easiest way is through the browser. Make sure you scan for the tabs at the top of the page .... they're easy to overlook.

Please clarify your setup and what it is you're trying to do.

Thanks

Scott

The second statement would be the correct configuration issue. The clients see the AP and get the signal they just can not associate to the network. It looks like the equipment that is in use does not support VLAN /802.1q.

scottosan
Level 1
Level 1

You can not get then to associate? or can not get then to connect to your network. As for the native vlan, have you put a "native vlan statement on your switch trunk?

The clients see the AP and get the signal they just can not associate to the network. It looks like the equipment that is in use does not support VLAN /802.1q.

What model switch are you using?

A Linksys EZXS88W switch is in use.

Linksys doesn't "do" VLans / dot1q trunks. To use VLANs on the AP, you need a switch that will support dot1q trunking.

Good Luck

Scott

Dear Scott,

i am working with Cisco 3500XL series, they support dot1q trunking, but i have the same problem....

Andreas

Andreas/Shane,

I don't know if you already solved this problem, but it seems there's a restriction for the total of unencrypted vlans in the access points. I think only one unencryted VLAN is supported.

See the link below (section 3.2 - Broadcast Domain Segmentation)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference09186a00801444a1.html

I have just started a new conversation on this topic. Maybe it would be possible to use the guest SSID and an unencrypted VLAN (total of 2 open vlans), but I haven't tested it yet.

If you solved this matter, please keep us updated.

Rgds

Leônidas

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card