cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan Setup to Maximize # of users

ccsi100
Level 1
Level 1

I have 6 AP's with G radios and would like to maximize # of users due to density issues.

I configured 2 SSID's with 3 different channels on 3 AP's (1,6,11). (2 sets of these for 6 total).

Using indoor wall patch antennas.

Right now I am using DHCP to assign IP's to each "channel" since I assigned 1 channel to each AP and then assigned the SSID's to a DHCP scope since they have to be in their own VLAN's.

All is well but when roaming. The IP's try to change and then change back. ie. it goes to 0.0.0.0 then back to the DHCP assigned IP. This only happens when roaming between AP's?

Did I miss something? Or a better way to do this.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

dixho
Level 6
Level 6

I am not clear on how you assign the DHCP scope. Do you assign each AP on its own scope? I suggest you to assign a DHCP scope for a SSID. In other words, you will have 2 DHCP scopes.

Alternatively, you can purchase a CAT6K, SUP720, and a WLSM module. Then, you can configure the new layer 3 mobility feature in 12.2(15)XR. Of course, it may be overkill.

Correct I assigned one DHCP scope per SSID which sits in their own VLAN (ie. 2 scopes across all 6 AP's using the 2 SSIDs). This works fine.

The issue was when roaming the W-NIC would drop when going from 1 AP to another, since the IP would go to 0.0.0.0.

What kind of wireless NIC do you use? Does the DHCP server receives a DHCP request from the wireless NIC when it roams?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card