Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice gaps when roaming

Daniel Anderson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Currently in the process of deploying some Cisco 7921 handsets. Most things appear to be working well with them, accept we're having some issues with roaming when the phones are switching between Access Points, we experience voice gaps of up to 5 seconds. The phone appears to stay connected, we simply lose 2-way voice. I've seen similar posts on here previously and have followed the feedback supplied in those, but unfortunately issues are still ongoing.

Our current setup is 4 x WLCs managing 170 Access Points - we've been advised we have 100% coverage by the company who carried out our wireless surveys. The VoIP vlan on the WLCs is configured to use A only.

Hardare versions are detailed below, I've also attached a screenshot of our VoIP vlan configuration. I've tested phones using both PEAP and EAP-Fast, using a locally created account on our Cisco ACS, PEAP appears to function the better of the 2, we experience longer voice gaps with EAP-Fast. Some of the advanced EAP settings have been modified on the WLCs, to match those documented in the 7921 deplyment guide, again our current settings are detailed below.

WCS - 4.2.128.0
WLC - 4.2.207.0
7921 Firmware - 1.3.2

show advanced eap

EAP-Identity-Request Timeout (seconds)........... 30
EAP-Identity-Request Max Retries................. 2
EAP Key-Index for Dynamic WEP.................... 0
EAP Max-Login Ignore Identity Response........... enable
EAP-Request Timeout (seconds).................... 30
EAP-Request Max Retries.......................... 0
EAPOL-Key Timeout (seconds)...................... 1
EAPOL-Key Max Retries............................ 2

Is anyone able to advise on the configuration we have in use, and whether this would have a detrimental affect on roaming. Also, are there any particular debugs that could be performed that may assist in resolving the issue?

Thanks is advance

Dan

16 Replies 16

We have upgraded to 1.3.4 to fix the roaming issues as well. The phones seem to roam much better now, but battery life is terrible. Anyone else notice this?

Yes. We have the same problem with the batteries since upgrading to 1.3.4

I've already mentioned that here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3034178#3034178

Do you use 7921G or 7925G phones????

Greetings Frank

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card