Views
Helpful
Replies

vWLC and Flexconnect

zulqurnain
Level 3
Level 3

Hi 

I am running into a really weird problem.

My vWLC has AP associated to it and in Flexconnect mode and I can connect to WLAN's (SSID) successfully.

But if I switch between WLAN's e.g test-ho and test-guest I see that they timeout in a way that I get the IP from the correct VLAN / Subnet to which I have switched too , yet it shows as identifying on the computer and even I cannot ping anywhere or to the gateway for that matter and it takes like this forever. 

if I just reset the WLAN's from the vWLC , the workstations connects immediately but if I switch again between WLAN's is does the same thing again.

I am just unable to figure out whats causing this delay and behavior.

Any help will be really appreciated

Thanks in Advance.

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Enable Fast SSID Change on the GUI on the 'Controller' tab.  That should fix the issue.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Not really an issue, but by design.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-4/configuration/guides/consolidated/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED_chapter_01001.html

-Scott

-Scott

Thanks for the suggestions but It's already enabled. 

:( I cannot figure out what 

by observing, It looks like the WLAN I am connecting too gives out the correct IP address and then it disconnects and connects back again (of course the IP address is correct for the right WLAN) but like I said it doesn't let me do anything. 

If I simply reset the WLAN it connects perfectly fine. 

Make sure your on v7.4.121.0 or v7.6.130.0. If the issue still happens, then look at your network side. Once the client device gets an IP address and the WLC places the device I'm the RUN state, the WLC bridges the traffic and is pretty much done. You need to determine if your clients can ping their gateway or not. 

-Scott

-Scott

vWLC is on 7.6.130.0

on vWLC monitor tab I can see the client has been connected and what IP it has but vWLC cannot ping it regardless of which WLAN it is on and neither client can ping its gateway although it has the correct IP.

again If I reset the WLAN it connects and what puzzling to me is why it works if I reset and difference it makes 

Reset of the wlan is the same as if your reset the wireless adapter. When the device has a valid IP, ping the default gateway and see if that device can or can't ping.  If the device can't ping the gateway, then no other device along with the WLC would be able to ping that device.  Try determining if it's an issue with only one type of device or not  that can also be an issue with the device driver version.

-Scott

-Scott

alright I believe I have found the issue and it's basically my configuration and making me all confused, my apologies.

let me do a back trace of events !

I am setting up my vWLC migrating from WLC 5508 .

needed to changed the mode from local to flexconnect to make the AP's work on vWLC as I read and advised that only flexconnect mode works on vWLC.

I have two WLAN's 'HO' and 'Guest' , 'HO' is AAA authenticated and 'GUEST' is local webauth , two different VLAN's for  'HO' = 20 and 'Guest '30' 

It seems I am following a bad guide to setup the AP in Flexconnect mode with my setup . Do you have any guide which I can refer to.

I prefer the appliance over the vWCL to be honest. Any who... Here is a guide that explains FlexConnect. There are various ways you can setup this and it will depend on how you want traffic to flow. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Mobility/emob73dg/emob73/ch7_HREA.html

-Scott

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card