cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vWLC and Hyperlocation

Vadaszroli
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone can confirm that virtual WLC (8.1.131.0 ) is supporting Hyperlocation or just the physical appliance do?

According to the CMX 10.2 installation guide hint the vWLC is not supporting Hyperlocation.

Thx

3 Replies 3

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-1/Halo-DG/b_hyperlocation-deployment-guide.pdf

Minimum requirements for hyperlocation:

• Cisco Prime version 3.0 orhigher— The function of this software is to correctly place the Access Points on a map and describe the orientation of the Antenna. Exporting maps to CMX 10.2.x

• Cisco CMX 10.2.1 or higher— The function of this software is to receive the information from the Hyperlocation module and antennas and then calculate the location. Furthermore, it provides this location via a display on a map of client locations and an API with the calculated location. The L-AD-LS-1AP-N – CMX Advanced License for 1 AP is required.

• Cisco Unified controller 8.1(MR3) or higher— The function of this software is to support the new hardware and provide a tunnel for the information from the WSM to get to the CMX 10.2.1 server

• In addition to these components, you will also need an NTP server (application or router running on same subnet) as you will need to configure the controller to sync with an NTP server through the Hyperlocation settings. You will also need to configure a gateway on the switch and controller.

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco Aironet 3600/3700 APs Release 8.1.131.20 or later support CMX Hyperlocation. In addition, Hyperlocation is not supported on the Cisco Virtual Wireless LAN Controller (vWLC).

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/mse/release/notes/cmx_10_2_rn.html

According to Hyperlocation Deploy. guide the 8.1.131.0 is OK. The vWLC Deploy. giude does not highlight the Hyperlocation as an unsupported feature. So I am confused.

I have already read all the documentation. I need technical support

I have built up a demo system:

- 5 pc 3700 AP + Hyperlocation module + Antenna array

- vWLC 8.1.131.0 (on ESXi) ; APs in FlexConnect mode and hyperlocation enabled

- vPrime 3.0 (on ESXi); MAP uploaded; APs placed at correct place with correct orientation

- vCMX 10.2.1-219 (on ESXi); MAP and controller synchronized from Prime

- Same NTP is used by the systems above

The system is up and running. The associated clients appearing on the CMX map.So the positioning function working basically. I need to make sure that the Hypeloc. function is used and working as well.

Test done:

- The APs sending the NMSP packets - through the vWLC - to the vCMX. (the CMX receiving halo-udp-byte-s). NMSP In/Out is OK on CMX side.

- The CMX receiving AoA packets as well (see capture.jpg)

- I do not see AoA calculations on the CMX

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card