cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAPs with EWCs

Steven Couture
Level 1
Level 1

Hello - I have a wireless environment that has 4 -1600 series aironet waps that need to be replaced.  I see the 9100 catalyst series offer EWC on the access points themselves.  If I replaced these 4 would I need each of the new access points to have the EWC version, or would I just purchase one with the EWC and the other three without?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

>...OK - but my question is if all 4 APs would be needing to run the EWC software or just one and the other three would be managed by it ?
        Just one with EWC (indeed) ; now for deployments with a larger number of client-(capwap) APs , EWC offers redundancy solutions based on VRRP : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/ewc/17-10/config-guide/ewc_cg_17_10/m_ewc_high_availability.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Does not make difference. 

The EWLC firmware is free to download and coverting an AP to EWLC is easy. 

ap-type capwap tftp://<IP_ADDRESS>/filename.tar

OK - but my question is if all 4 APs would be needing to run the EWC software or just one and the other three would be managed by it ?

>...OK - but my question is if all 4 APs would be needing to run the EWC software or just one and the other three would be managed by it ?
        Just one with EWC (indeed) ; now for deployments with a larger number of client-(capwap) APs , EWC offers redundancy solutions based on VRRP : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/ewc/17-10/config-guide/ewc_cg_17_10/m_ewc_high_availability.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Steven Couture
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you both for helping

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card