Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS 7.0 to Prime Infrastrcuture 1.2 migration

Melany Nolan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Anyone has experience in the WCS 7.0 to Prime Infrastructure 1.2 migration?

I am so confused on the migration procedure as I found the documents in Cisco kind of contradictory.

Some document said it is required to upgrade WCS to NCS 1.1 before to go to prime infrastructure 1.2.

And the other document said WCS can directly upgrade to prime infrastructure 1.2.

Can anyone who has this migration experience share the right way to go?

Thank you.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your WCS needs to be on v7.0.220.0 in order to do an export... the doc is wrong by the way. You need to either go to NCS 1.0 or 1.1 (preferred) before you can go to Prime 1.2 or Prime 1.3. So WCS to NCS to PI.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Cisco says:

'''If you are currently using WCS 7.0 and want to migrate your data, you must first upgrade to NCS 1.1.1.'''

So, there is no direct upgrade from WCS to PI.

Where did you read otherwise?

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your WCS needs to be on v7.0.220.0 in order to do an export... the doc is wrong by the way. You need to either go to NCS 1.0 or 1.1 (preferred) before you can go to Prime 1.2 or Prime 1.3. So WCS to NCS to PI.

-Scott

So the Cisco Prime Infrastructure Deployment Guide is wrong? there is no direct upgrade?

No direct migration from WCS to PI

-Scott

thanks, for the ncs / pi software, how to determine whether i should use large, medium or small?

Take a look at table 3

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/netmgtsw/ps6504/ps6528/ps12239/data_sheet_c78-715144.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott

thanks, I would also like to know if I can migrate from NCS to Prime 1.3 directly? or I need to mis it grate to 1.2 first?

if the prime will need to manage both wired and wireless devices, which version of prime  (the wan one or the one without wan) should i use ?

besides, is it possible to migrate partial license from wcs to ncs?

if not, can i run wcs and ncs/prime at the same time?

thank you.

You migrate directly to PI 1.3

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

thanks, i see that the WAN version stated that " The "WAN" version only includes router and switch management, NOT wireless management. For wireless management use NCS 1.1."

so can the NCS1.1.1 manage router and switch as well?

and is it ok for the devices to be managed by wcs and ncs/pi at the same time?

No there is a Prime Infrastructure 1.3 which has all 3 bundled together.

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284652876&softwareid=284272932&release=1.3&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

but during the migration process, i have to migrate wcs and lms to ncs 1.1.1 first, right?

so which version of ncs shall i choose?

is it correct if i choose the one without wan, migrate wcs data to ncs, then migrate ncs and lms data to pi 1.3?

thanks.

You only can migrate one. I would migrate WCS to NCS and then you can look for steps to move your LMS to PI 1.3 after you upgrade from NCS to PI. I haven't had to move LMS yet but you might want to post on the route switch forum regarding that piece.

-Scott

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Cisco says:

'''If you are currently using WCS 7.0 and want to migrate your data, you must first upgrade to NCS 1.1.1.'''

So, there is no direct upgrade from WCS to PI.

Where did you read otherwise?

I read it from the Cisco Prime Infrastructure Deployment Guide, the issue date of this doc is Jan 2013.

in p.15 Data Migration section.

I wonder if anyone has successfully exported the data from WCS and imported to the Prime infrastructure directly...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card