Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS Enterprise Setup with HA

Hi All,

i have to setup WCS Enterprise on several servers with a 1000 AP License and a Secondary Server "in the Middle". Can anybody help me with Informations regarding Licensing, how to setup the Secondary Server, in which step of the Installation do i define him as Secondary and how is the Licensing done?

Any Help Welcome, regards, Michael

7 Replies 7

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When you launch the installer it asks you if it will be a secondary WCS in a deployment. From there, if you say yes it will ask you details about the primaries.

If you install a WCS saying no to that question, once it's installed you can go on the web GUI and go to the  HA config page to configure HA settings.

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A secondary doesn't require a license actually to be installed or to run.

Great, this Helps. I know the HA Question in the Setup Dialogue, but nothing about Licensing of the Secondary Server.

Regards, Michael

To give a better picture, the secondary WCS can act as secondary for lots of primaries. It is constantly synched with all the primary WCS databases in that case. When one primary WCS goes down, the secondary goes active and runs that particular database.

This is why it doesn't require a license, would be a little mess otherwise :-) But the primary WCS must have a PLUS license though to have the HA feature.

Thanks agaein. If i go to the Licensing Page, the Tool wants to know the AP Count of a Primary Server, i understand that more than one License can be registered on one PAK. If i register on Server with 50 APs and the AP Count increases, can i add a 50 AP License to that Server, for example?

BR, MIchael

You can buy a base license that is with the PLUS feature pack or not.

So you can buy a 50-PLUS license for your WCS to install it.

On top of that you can add a lot of "ap count-PLUS" licenses to increase the AP count as you install more and more APs on your network. The feature set has to match, so if you start with PLUS, you have to buy PLUS ap counts, etc ...

OK, we have the Plus Feature Set. So Licensing is done in the same Way

like Standalone WCS

Thanks Again with Bright Regards, Michael

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card