Views
Helpful
Replies

Weak wifi signal - 1550, 1262 APs

dario.bosnjak
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

deploying 1550 and 1262 APs indoor and outdoor but getting weak signal from both.

We are deploying 1550 and 1262 APs in 2 countries with ETSI regulations (so ETSI APs). APs are connected to WLC (5508, v7.2) and we configured static TXPower (802.11b/g) and set value to 1 (highest). We played with antenna gain values (from default 0 to the correct value of antenna gain).

The signal level from both AP types is very low. This is very disapointing for 1550 APs - we have a coverage radius of 20-30 meters. This is of course unacceptable because of the cost of APs, the size and because of competition products.

Am I missing some configuration in WLC? Is there any way to improve distance??

19 Replies 19

This article is scaring me, I am busy with a mesh project with 1552E's in the -E regulatory domain.. I have not done a full site survey yet but from what I have seen so far is that these AP's are just rubbish... We are running an easy 400-500m between Ubiquiti bridges at the moment, I know for a fact I wont match that with the 1552E's but hopefully I wont need a lot more access points just to cover this distance.. More than 10x the price of the Ubiquitis and it cant even pretend to keep up in distance... very dissapointed in cisco

Well, I've never been a fan of their bridging units... MESH to me is really for client access and not point to point bridging.  If I were to do PTP, then I would spend the money on Bridgewave, Proxim or even the Exalt bridges.  I have customers whom just buy the Ubiquitis and keep spares if they ever die, for the cost you can't beat that.  If I were to use the 1552's fro bridging, then you better look at using the 5ghz with patches and the 2.4ghz for client access if needed. 

-Scott

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

laposilaszlo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dario,

Did you ever find the solution to this problem?

I am having the same issue and i dont know what to do.

Thanks,

laszlo

Yep, also interested if there was a solution in the end.

I'm having similar issues. I was expecting a lot wider outdoor coverage with the 1552EU...

Hi Good people,

Is there anyone who has an idea on the solution to this, as I am having the same experience difference of the 2.4GHz antenna trying to cover so the signal keeps going up and down, and yes I am less than 30 meters from 1552 AP.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card