Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What the most recommended or user TX power level on the WLC

Hello,

What would be the most recommended TX power level, If you needed to set the power manually on the WLC? Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

I'd depends on the area you need to coverage. The TX power will determine how big will be the Access Point cell.

You can do a site survey in order for determine at which distance the signal must go and at which RSSI level.

Keep in mind however that there's a phenomenon called Fading that cause the signal level to vary constantly.

It is safe to assume 10dBm margin.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi

I'd depends on the area you need to coverage. The TX power will determine how big will be the Access Point cell.

You can do a site survey in order for determine at which distance the signal must go and at which RSSI level.

Keep in mind however that there's a phenomenon called Fading that cause the signal level to vary constantly.

It is safe to assume 10dBm margin.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Nice post Flavio.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
This would be the same as your other post on channels. You should have a site survey performed or go out to one of the sites and determine what coverage you have within an area. I prefer to look under one AP to see how much overlap I have with other AP’s and then go to an area that is between two or three AP’s to see how well I hear their signal. You should look at min -65dbm and min 25SNR. TX power should be around 8-14dbm in 5ghz to give you enough flexibility for the AP to increase power if needed. With that, your power in 2.4 would need to be 3-6dbm lower so that devices will prefer 5GHz vs 2.4GHz. Majority of AP’s that are placed in room with very few in hallways are ideal for today’s wireless needs. Hallway deployments are no longer considered okay these days.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card