cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where are AP BSSID's listed?

bischoffb
Level 4
Level 4

Are the BSSID's for each AP 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz radio listed on the AP itself, on the shipping box, or anywhere so I can document them prior to connecting to WLC?             

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Here is a blog I did on this subject

http://www.my80211.com/home/2011/5/2/wlc-how-cisco-virtualizes-the-base-radio-mac-address-on-the.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no SSID configured on the AP. The WLC will push the SSID to the ap when it joins.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

If you mean the 'MAC Address' associated with each, then it's the Base Radio MAC Address, but the last character changes from 1-F in line with the WLAN ID.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Here is a blog I did on this subject

http://www.my80211.com/home/2011/5/2/wlc-how-cisco-virtualizes-the-base-radio-mac-address-on-the.html

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

By default there is no SSID or BSSID configured on AP. You have to configure it manually on AP or it's pushed by WLC when AP joined the WLC. So there is no predefined list.

Thank you for the generous responses.  What I ended up doing was an export from Prime filtering on the 30 floor tower we are looking at.  I then removed the extraneous columns and from the CLI I did a show ap wlan 802.11a and b to validate what the BSSID's were.  In Excel I ran  a formula against the base radio MAC's (=REPLACE(start text,17,1, "1").  This took the first cell where the data was to change, moved to the seventeenth character, only removed 1 character, and replaced it with a 1.  Since all of the BSSID's ended with the same character on that band I did the old faithful click and drag all the way down the column to apply it to the 280 AP's, then repeated it for the 802.11b band.  It worked perfectly.  Thanks again for the replies.  

jbarger
Level 1
Level 1

While trying to find how to export a list of BSSID MAC addresses I found this post but didn't get me what I wanted so I will add what I did, log into the WLC and run these two commands "show ap summary" has the location and the IP address "show advanced 802.11a summary" has the BSSID of every AP on, easy to go from there.

Arthur Spaehnle
Level 1
Level 1

in case someone needs to to this on the 9800 use:

show ap wlan summary

This command provides all BSSIDs with the SSID and AP name.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card