cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which cisco access point?

subarayarsooper
Level 1
Level 1
  • I need to connect 8 college classes with 50 students per class connecting to the access point. Please suggest me the model and numbers if possible.
19 Replies 19

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the budget?

Is there a WLC?

No budget I just need to know the models comparison and ther is no WLC.

@subarayarsooper wrote:
No budget I just need to know the models comparison and ther is no WLC.

Ok, I'll bite. 

Install two Catalyst 9136 per classroom.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/access-point-controller-selector.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Gopinath_Pigili
Spotlight
Spotlight

You can go for Catalyst 9124I | 9124E | 9124D

These are basic modles....which will fit for small to middle levle...

Here is the link where you can compare features of different models...

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/access-point-controller-comparison.html?product_id=183|184|185

Best regards
******* If This Helps, Please Rate *******

@Gopinath_Pigili why would you recommend an Outdoor AP (9124) for a classroom?
Makes no sense at all!

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It really depends on what the layout of the classroom is, any mounting constraints, ceiling heights, and type of expected traffic

Also are the users only using a single device, or will BYOD devices be allowed in which case a 50 seat room could have 100-200 wireless devices online.

Generally speaking I would go with the 9136 like Leo said, but if there are mounting issues, then you may have to look at other models.

If there is no WLC, then you would have to make the decision do you want to purchase and manage one or are you more looking for a cloud managed solution. If thats the case then you will want to ensure the if selecting a Catalyst AP that it can be Meraki managed, or look at the Meraki APs or even look at another cloud vendors solution.

I recommend to have a wireless survey done to ensure coverage is there, as having supported universities in the past the students will be sure to make a racket if the WIFI isnt there

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Why not we not going with Meraki AP?

@subarayarsooper wrote:
Why not we not going with Meraki AP?

Because you said "no budget".  

I think Meraki is less than cisco's Access points. Can MR46 serve better.
One MR46 for two class rooms.

@subarayarsooper wrote:
I think Meraki is less than cisco's Access points. Can MR46 serve better.

If no one is going to be honest and forthcoming about how much the budget (per AP) is going to be, nobody is going to answer the question.

@subarayarsooper wrote:

If this is the only information provided, then my answer will be, "Get a wireless AP design placement done someone who knows what they are doing."

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Price is going to depend on the discount that you can get, and it's going to be more or less the same for both Cisco and Meraki.

The only difference is that with Cisco you can buy the AP with initial DNA licensing for the minimum required 3-years, and it will continue working after that period with NEtwork essentials licensing, so you will keep access to manitor and make any change to the config. That don't happen with Meraki as after subscription is expired, you cannot monitor or configure anything, and is up to Meraki to make the AP to stop working.

subarayarsooper
Level 1
Level 1
Hi team 

Thanks for the replies. My question is very simple. I am going to use 8200L router with 100Mbps isps(50+50). From that the access points will be connected. If I am using one Access point (C9105) for 50 users that would work or not?
If yes please let me know.

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

It is not about the AP model. Marketing data will tell you it will work, as modern APs do support 256/512 connections. But the problem is that RF medium cannot support that amount of endpoints if they would be actively sending traffic, especially high load traffic or real-time traffic.

If that is not the case, and not all devices would be connected at the same time, and transmitting at the same time, or heavely using the access at the same time, or in a conference at the same time... then it should work, but expect performance complaints from time to time, and expect few connectivity issues.

Why not providing a second AP option to provide redundancy and prevent service disruption on the event of an AP failure? On this scenario, you would have 2 APs and end-user devices connection will be split between them, so increasing performance as APs will use different channels.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card