Views
Helpful
Replies

Why 802.11g instead of 802.11n?

wifimaster
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I'm using network environment based on AIR-AP3802I-E-K9 with WLC 5529 8.8.130.0. Could someone please tell me why some client devices which are using 2.4Ghz associating with AP only based on 802.11g?
I've in NIC requirements that 802.11n for 2.4 is supported.
This problem conern only one device vendor. Some other WiFi devices establish 802.11n witouht any problem.

8021.png

Is there any way to force device to associate based on higher standard? 

Is there any way to block 802.11g and allow for 802.11n? 

Thank you in advance. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

There is a negotiation of the connection parameters between the client device and the AP.

The AP sends a beacon with all supported features and standards, and the client device hear the beacon and send an association request with selected features to the AP, which only accept that.

So, the problem is not in the WLAN infrastructure but in the device driver/operating system. Maybe the selection algorithm is not optimized so my advise is try to update the driver/firmware.

Or maybe the specifications of this specific devices are not true. You can try to check this with the FCCID in the device label here https://fccid.io/. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

There is a negotiation of the connection parameters between the client device and the AP.

The AP sends a beacon with all supported features and standards, and the client device hear the beacon and send an association request with selected features to the AP, which only accept that.

So, the problem is not in the WLAN infrastructure but in the device driver/operating system. Maybe the selection algorithm is not optimized so my advise is try to update the driver/firmware.

Or maybe the specifications of this specific devices are not true. You can try to check this with the FCCID in the device label here https://fccid.io/. 

This is clear, thanks a lot  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card