cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WiFi Configuration Question

joerod
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having difficulty getting the following scenario working properly.  I would appreciate any suggestions which may help me get this configuration working and put into production.

I have the following equipment..

3560G Switch - Connected to a SFE2000P Switch - Using 1142 Standalone Access Points

I need to provide WiFi coverage for two already working vlans in the office.

One provides network access and the other provides public access.

3560G Port Linked to SFE2000P Switch is configured like this:

interface GigabitEthernet0/41
description Trunk to POE Switch
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 40
switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,40,80
switchport mode trunk

SFE2000P  Switch looks like this:

Static IP 192.168.40.245

Management vlan 1

vlan 10,40,80 all created on switch

AP Ports are configured as Trunks with vlans 10,80 Tagged and 1 as Untagged

Port used as link back to 3560G switch configured as Trunk with vlans 10,40,80 Tagged and 1 as Untagged

Cisco 1142 AP Configured with two SSID's

Public  vlan 80

Private vlan 10

From the network I can ping the SFE2000P Switch but nothing else.

Clients can connect to the AP using either SSID but never get any IP Address.

Unfortunately the SFE2000P POE switch doesn't get configured like the 3560's so I'm losing something in translation I think.

If I change the IP of the POE switch to an IP on the vlan 10 and modify the native vlan setting on the 3560g to 10 I am able to ping both switch and AP but the issue with client IP addressing remains.

I would apprecate any assistance with this..

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Because you are using two VLANs on your AP, the ports to the AP should be a dot1q trunk.

I have those AP ports configured as a dot1q trunk with both vlans allowed.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I might suggest... Before adding the AP in the mix. Extend your vlans 10 and 80 to wired ports (access layer) to insure your wired side is set up properly ie dhcp, layer 2 , layer 3 etc.. once this is done and you feel good. Then add the access point into the mix.

How is your ap configured interface wise?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

This is a good suggestion.  I will configure a few ports for each vlan and see how they respond.

Since the vlans are trunked to the switch I shouldn't have to configure anything other than vlan membership at the port correct?

The AP itself has a static IP address contained within vlan 10.

It broadcasts 2 SSID's one public and one private.  Each is supposed to use a separate vlan.

vlan 10 is the internal network which gains access to various resources etc...

vlan 80 is nothing more than a private layer 2 network connected to a cable modem that hands out the IP's as needed.

This network cannot see any internal resources.

This setup works fine on my 3560 switches wired.  I'm having the issue getting this same behaviour working correctly on this SFE2000P switch.

The docs claim that it supports vlans, etc but its certainly not behaving like all my infrastructure switches.

Are you using the BVI interface to seperate the 2 vlans?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin