cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WIFI INSTALLATION

kevinpendergast
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of installing Cisco 3702 AP's and want to find out if it matters if the AP's see each other. This is not a mesh network, but basically going to install in the inner 4 corners of the building. Each AP will see two other AP's in it's line of sight, but each will have different channels.

Thanks 

Kevin

4 Replies 4

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

LOS is ok. But channels will be important especially on 2.4. Use channel 1,6 and 11.  From a client same channels should show 20 db difference. 

Suppose you're at x,y and you see ap1 channel 11 at -60 and use see ap2 channel 11 at -80 your good. If it's less than 20 you need to adjust power, channel or move .. 

Make sense ? 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

make sense George ;)!!

also one u have a WLC environment controller based wifi installation everything will be done by WLC if u let him do it, he will know what he has to do ;)... Wasn't sure what kind of env. he is using. So just to mention that as well...

for roaming it is also necessary when they see each other as long as u take care of all the basics...George's pointed out the important one.

i would also ask how much client, meeting rooms? Service to use, etc...

Adding to the experts, I'd suggest to get a site survey done (:

Nigrofasciatum
Level 1
Level 1

The important thing is not "see " but " hear". There may be two APs with no line of sight , but still they are mutually listening to their broadcasts. This situation must be avoided .

In order to avoid co-channel interference, an AP can not "hear" other APs on the same channel .

This issue appears on 2,4GHz band. If an AP is on channel 1, it can hear other APs that issue on channel 6 or 11, but if it hear transmissions on the same channel, then they will be auto-stealing bandwidth.

Intends the maximum received signal in an AP, of another AP in the same channel, to be -85dBm (RSSI) or higher. Ideally, is 0. Lowering the transmission power can prevent the APs in the same channel see each other

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card