cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wifi to ethernet device that works with a WLC 9800

stonent01
Level 1
Level 1

So we have a piece of lab equipment that has to travel inside a vehicle as it gathers data while the vehicle is in motion.  It only supports Ethernet in the model that has the specific capabilities that our engineers use.  I'm looking for an easily procurable device that I can authorize on our network to bridge the connection so they can do data uploads.    

I have seen these wifi to ethernet adapters and have seen them used before and work with home wifi routers, but I tried one and it will connect to our SSID but the device trying to get through gets no DHCP responses.  (I've also tried it on a PC hard wired into the wifi to ethernet bridge).  I also specifically added the MAC of the lab equipment's ethernet adapter to our WLC for MAC authentication assuming that was causing the DHCP not working but still only getting 169.254 IP.

Has anyone successfully gotten any of these devices to connect to their network and work to give Wi-Fi capability to hardware that only supports ethernet?  And what did you use?  I understand it may be possible with an actual Cisco AP, but that's kind of expensive to require one with a POE injector, and power inverter to get it working inside the vehicle.  Something USB powered would be great because I could power it from the instrument itself.

The end goal is that we assign a DNS name to each device and any time they need to do a data dump from the instrument, the driver pulls into the parking lot of any of our company sites across the country and the engineer then remotely connects to this piece of equipment from their desk via the DNS name and then extracts the data from it.  This is the device we specifically used and it did not work.  It pulls an IP itself but the device on the ethernet port gets nothing.
https://www.iogear.com/product/GWU637/

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...not working but still only getting 169.254 IP.
  - Presumably the wifi to ethernet device doesn't do full client behavior ; you could try to find out where it goes wrong with client debugging according to : https://logadvisor.cisco.com/logadvisor/wireless/9800/9800ClientConnectivity
      You can have client debugs (for this device MAC) analyzed with Wireless Debug Analyzer once you have obtained the RadioActive Trace.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

pieterh
VIP
VIP

you need to configure the device as a wifi to ethernet bridge
but different manufacturers seems  to have their own wifi-to ethernet bridge communication
so you may not be successful succeed connecting Cisco AP to IOgear as a remote bridge

at this time you have your IOgear device authenticated as a wlan client
and you want  your instrument to pass traffic over the same authenticated connection
for this  the Cisco WLAN needs to provide DHCP addres to BOTH the IOgear device and the instrument
 this will be a cumbersome process to realize

you may have better luck with a "normal" wireless to lan router
where the WLAN is the WAN connection and this performs DHCP service to the intstrument on the LAN segment

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card