Views
Helpful
Replies

WiFi6 and cloup apps4

mnkojima
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

a customer of mine asked me: "why do I need a wifi6 if all of my apps are in the cloud and my Internet bandwidth is 100 Mbps?"

Does someone know the answer?

Thank you

Marcos

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

WiFi6 is based on IEEE802.1ax which is  developed for higher efficiency (HEW - High Efficiency Wireless). Increasing speed is not its motive. In all previous amendment came to increase throughput, but WiFi6 is not targeting that.

Here is what WiFi6 brings to the table.

WiFi6.jpeg

OFDMA is the key differentiator where you allow multiple users data can transmitted in one tx opportunity. This will help all clients in the cell (as it reduce contention to get medium access).

Therefore you bring WiFi6 into enterprise, simply to improve wireless efficiency, not to increase merely throughput

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello @mnkojima 

This question make sense but just a little bit.  Actually, considering the final result, with 100 Mbps internet, dont matter  whether your client will using 802.11n or 802.11ax, considering your costumer´s devices is connected at the optimal wireless condition and you costumer´s devices support more then 100 Mbps.

However, we need to keep in mind that Wi-Fi is essentially an access technology and the faster it is, better. We don´t expect to have an Internet link as faster as an access technology because we always have oversubscription. Usually, we have too many devices on the access layer but not necessarily all of them are sending data do the internet  and the faster you transport their data to the gateway, better chance you have to send those data to the internet when necessary.

A better question would be "Why do I need Wifi6 if my devices does not support it". that´s a good point cause, as you may know, most of device will take quite sometime until the support Wifi6. 

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Thank you Flavio

WiFi6 is based on IEEE802.1ax which is  developed for higher efficiency (HEW - High Efficiency Wireless). Increasing speed is not its motive. In all previous amendment came to increase throughput, but WiFi6 is not targeting that.

Here is what WiFi6 brings to the table.

WiFi6.jpeg

OFDMA is the key differentiator where you allow multiple users data can transmitted in one tx opportunity. This will help all clients in the cell (as it reduce contention to get medium access).

Therefore you bring WiFi6 into enterprise, simply to improve wireless efficiency, not to increase merely throughput

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thank you Rasika
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card