Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WIPS is a IPS or olnly IDS ?

I can not understand

In the product documentation is told:

The Cisco Adaptive Wireless IPS system not   only is an IDS (Intrusion Detection System), but also is an IPS (Intrusion   Prevention System).

But with what types of attack works as IPS and where you configure the policy in case of prevention?

THANKS

Emiliano

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Maybe this FAQ will help you understand they difference. The WLC default has some IDS functionality. With MSE, Prime and AP's with wIPS or sub mode with wIPS, there are some IPS detection/prevention. In the future, I don't thing wIPS will be there anymore.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I have already read the documentation but it is not clear if it can be configured for ips.

Thanks

Do you have an MSE and Prime and also the wIPS license?

-Scott

Yes , and ihave license wIPS Local Mode APs                                                                                                                                                                                                            .

If your read the FAQ, wIPS is different from wired IPS. The document explains exactly what wireless wIPS does. The WLC only does IDS, but with an MSE, Prime and wIPS AP, you can do some IPS.

-Scott

Thank you for your response carefully read the faq, because your preparation you can give me an answer to this question that I opened Thank you very much.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4047142#4047142

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have two different questions. This question you asked here:

But with what types of attack works as IPS and where you configure the policy in case of prevention?

They types of attacks are listed in various wIPS documentation. Also how to configure wIPS is there also.

-Scott

I have read all the documentation found, but to this day I do not understand how that part of wips (ips) is configured as it behaves just like ids. Have you any idea how to configure it to use it as prevention as happen ips for forms of 'ASA.

Thanks a lot

E.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: