Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless 7921 Phones - Stuck in "Leaving Service Area"

steigja
Level 3
Level 3

Hello All,

We are having an issue with some 7921 phones.  The issue is that when they leave the range of the LWAP AP's 1142N's for a small amount of time they never go green again on the signal bar(the signal bar stays yellow once you get back in range) and it just keeps saying "leaving service area".  It's as iff they 7921 never fully diusconnects from the previouse AP.  There are two builds at a client and both are on different AP groups,  There is a wireless voice vlan configured on the WISM with one controller that is up and running.  When a user takes a 7921 phone and walks across the parking lot the signal drops and then when they get back in range of the other building it never rejoins, and the Wireless Voice Vlan is a part of both buildings AP groups.  The 7921's are running on CUCM 7.1.2 and the WLC is running 7.0.116.0.  The 7921's are on 1.4.1.0.6.  The only way to fix the issue is to reset the phone or do a battery pull.  Has anyoneran into this issue.  I have tried turning off U-APSD and also setting the phone to static 802.11a as well as the voice vlan.  Currently the phones are configured for static IP's on the Voice Vlan which is configured on a 6500 where the WiSM is.  Thanks

Jason

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hey FYI, just to let you know, I did see your case come in the other day and the TAC engineer just emailed back with some answers to the questions we had. 

I have updated him with the info from this dialogue.

Did you try 2.4 GHz yet?

Also can you take a screenshot of the Device Info page on the 792x webpage when the issue occurs when in 802.11a mode?  Can attach it here.

FYI, this DDTS, CSCtk58591 has been lingering for a bit as we have been unable to reproduce it in our labs.

So it would be most appreciated if you can help us get some closure to this issue.

We will work on this further via the TAC engineer.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

migilles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you check to see if the MAC address is visible still in the phone UI (Settings>Model Info) when in this state?

Also are you limiting the # of enabled channels in the advanced network profile config via the phone webpage?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Migilles,

Yes, when it is in this state I can's see the MAC address in Model Information or in Device Information under network.  I have not messed with the channels via the website.  Do you know what the issue might be any help would be greatly.  I have had a TAC case open for months and they still can't solve the issue, thanks.

Jason

Sounds like CSCtk58591, however, we have only seen this at one customer and was specific to 5 GHz, where the phone's 802.11 mod was set to 802.11a, Auto-a or Auto-bg, where it would scan 5 GHz when out of range (OOR).

I see you are using 802.11a only mode, so using 5 GHz solely.

Do you have 2.4 GHz coverage with the voice ssid as well?

If so, do you mind trying with the phone set to 802.11b/g only mode and see if the same issue occurs or not.

If it is CSCtk58591, then 2.4 GHz only should be fine.

Not saying using 2.4 GHz only is a solution, but just to confirm it is the same issue or not.

If it is indeed CSCtk58591, then we may want to have you try a private image (1.4.1.1.1.7), which we will need to have you open a TAC case for.

We have quite a few customers using this image and haven't had any reports of CSCtk58591 yet.

But FYI, some reports of up to a 2 minute delay to reconnect if channel lists in the phone's advanced network profile are modified.  As long as you keep all channels enabled, then it seems this other issue (CSCtr74630) will not be encountered.

Let me know.

Thanks.

- Mike G

Mike,

I can certainly try setting the SSID to b/g and the phone to b/g.  I will try this and let you know.  I do have a case on this open 617587135.  Thanks for your help! 

Hey FYI, just to let you know, I did see your case come in the other day and the TAC engineer just emailed back with some answers to the questions we had. 

I have updated him with the info from this dialogue.

Did you try 2.4 GHz yet?

Also can you take a screenshot of the Device Info page on the 792x webpage when the issue occurs when in 802.11a mode?  Can attach it here.

FYI, this DDTS, CSCtk58591 has been lingering for a bit as we have been unable to reproduce it in our labs.

So it would be most appreciated if you can help us get some closure to this issue.

We will work on this further via the TAC engineer.

Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card