Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless association with device

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

If an rfid device wants to connect to cisco wireless network, does it have any restrictions.

All that needs to be done is to have the correct ssid configured on the rfid device to match the cisco wireless network.

i read that cisco wireless only supports two rfid vendors, is this the case?

Appreciate all help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok, let's start with the basic:

1.  Read the release notes or product notes of the badge.

2.  Create an OPEN authentication SSID with broadcasting.  See if the badge associates.

3.  Make the SSID non-broadcasting.  Is it still associating?

4.  If it does, then you start cranking up the encryption and security until you break. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm not talking about RFID vendors/products but if you want want to determine if a product is supported, get a sample/demo unit and test it yourself under YOUR set of condition(s).

Don't trust vendors or the sales people because their main objective is to get your money. 

thanks. we just tested an rfid reader unit & tried to get it associated to cisco wireless network.

However, the reader doesn't seem to associate to the wireless, which should connect to it as a client.

any ideas or supported issues?

thanks in advance!

Ok, let's start with the basic:

1.  Read the release notes or product notes of the badge.

2.  Create an OPEN authentication SSID with broadcasting.  See if the badge associates.

3.  Make the SSID non-broadcasting.  Is it still associating?

4.  If it does, then you start cranking up the encryption and security until you break. 

we tried to get the reader to connect, however it doesn't.

I found in cisco site , that only certain compatible tags are allowed to integrated with cisco wireless.

i guess this should be the cause.

You seem to be talking about two different things here, Tags and Readers.. Which exactly are you having what problems with?

sorry for the confusion. The device is an rfid reader.

Ok, so your best bet is to do what Leo suggested.. Turn off all the security on your WLAN (or create a test WLAN) and see if you can get the Reader to associate to that. If it works, great, re-configure the SSID / Client to use some security and try again. If the client won't join even with an open SSID, check the release notes of your device to confirm its specific capabilities. You can also run a CLI Debug on the WLC, "Debug Client ", which may also give you some insight in to what's happening.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card