Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless bridge for 550m

Hugo Lynch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a customer looking for a wireless bridge. The distance between the two buildings is 550m with a clear line of sight.  Would the Aironet 1542D be capable of this and if so what sort of throughput could be expected at this distance.  If not, is there another model that would be recommended for this deployment?  They have an existing WLAN comprising of 1702i APs and a 2504 controller.

Thanks in advance,

Hugo.

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Hugo,

What are your requirements as far as throughput for that link? Remember that wireless is half duplex and in order to get good throughput, you need good signal, good snr and overall mounting and alignment. There are some older guides like this that can give you an idea:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-350-series/18860-outdoor-br-utility-calc.html#range
If you are looking at full 1 gig or more, you need to use another vendor product like Bridgewave.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

thanks for the reply and link. The throughput that is required is no more than 350-500 Mbps. There should be good SNR as the site is a new campus with little development and the links will only be required for a year or so before the site builds up.

Regards,

Hugo.

Well look at it this way, you will need to mount any bridge properly due to being outdoors and in case of lighting. So as long as you can mount the bridge high enough to meet the fresnel zone clearance you should be okay with any bridge you choose. Without proper mounting and alignment, not bridge will provide a good link. Cisco use to sell Exalt bridges that were great and easy to deploy. Bridgewave are one of the best but are expensive depending on they throughput you need. I know some of my customers choose Ubiquity bridge because they were cheap and can be easily replaced if they went bad.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card