cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Client monitoring through SNMP - MIB Oids

SenthilS
Level 1
Level 1

I am attempting to gather wireless Client connection / Association time information via SNMP.  CISCO-LWAPP-DOT11-CLIENT-MIB has information on the wireless clients  associated with Wireless Controller.  The following Mib table,

cldcClientTable OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX SEQUENCE OF CldcClientEntry
MAX-ACCESS not-accessible
STATUS current
DESCRIPTION
"This table represents the 802.11 wireless clients  that are associated with the APs that have joined this controller.
An entry is created automatically by the controller when the client gets associated to the AP. An existing entry gets deleted when the association gets dropped.
Each client added to this table is uniquely identified by the client's MAC address."
::= { cldcStatusObjects 1 }

Now this table has t two entries related CLient Log on time and duration:

cldcClientLoginTime OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX TimeStamp
MAX-ACCESS read-only
STATUS current
DESCRIPTION
"This object indicates the value of sysUpTime when the
client logged in."
::= { cldcClientEntry 14 }

cldcClientUpTime OBJECT-TYPE
SYNTAX TimeInterval
UNITS "Seconds"
MAX-ACCESS read-only
STATUS current
DESCRIPTION
"This object indicates the duration for which the client
has been associated with this device."
::= { cldcClientEntry 15 }

My doubt/question is this:

Is the clientLoginTime  showing the time when client is connected to this particular controller ? 

If the client moved from  one AP to another another AP  within the same network(SSID) and under the same controller , then I assume this mib oid only tells when this client is first logged in to the controller . Is there a way to find clients association time with a particular Access Point? 

Also the oid "cldcClientUpTime" gives the client duration with respect to controller only and  not with the Access Point?

I appreciate greatly for any help with these questions.

3 Replies 3

Hello @SenthilS 

As per the doc, CISCO-LWAPP-DOT11-CLIENT-MIB will handle the WLC perspective and we can assume it will not consider on per Access Point information but the overwall information.

If you need to see on per Access Point perspective you can try to search on  CISCO-DOT11-ASSOCIATION-MIB

Maybe you can check both in order to first identiry the client join and then check which AP it was joined.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I think you would have to poll regularly to track the client movement across APs.

SenthilS
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the response.  I intent to periodically poll the mib. I will also checkout the CISCO-DOT11-ASSOCIATION-MIB to determine WAP association time of the clients.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card