Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Client scanner devices are not connecting to require Wi-Fi SS

makarand17zx
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am seeing below log messages on WLC 5508 for scanner devices as they are not connecting to require SSID.

can anybody suggest how to fix this case? 

%APF-3-NO_FRAMED_IP_ADDRESS: [PA]apf_radius.c:2476

thanks

11 Replies 11

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Consider using https://software.cisco.com/download/specialrelease/8f166c6d88b9f77aabb63f78affa9749 , on the 5508  , some of these bug reports could be involved : https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvp76453 and https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvp71305

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi Marce,

Thanks for reply.

I have gone through some of these links earlier and unable to find exact error which we are observing as per below here.

*apfReceiveTask: Apr 21 07:22:36.923: %APF-3-NO_FRAMED_IP_ADDRESS: [PA]apf_radius.c:2476 'AcctStop' clt MAC: 00:23:68:66:d4:43  AP MAC: a0:23:9f:54:74:80 Role 'Local' PemState 'DHCP_REQD' SSID 'Skorpio' Connected for '169' secs
*apfReceiveTask: Apr 21 07:22:23.004: %APF-3-NO_FRAMED_IP_ADDRESS: [PA]apf_radius.c:2476 'AcctStop' clt MAC: 40:83:de:83:f1:f4  AP MAC: a0:23:9f:54:78:90 Role 'Local' PemState 'DHCP_REQD' SSID 'Skorpio' Connected for '366' secs
*apfReceiveTask: Apr 21 07:21:34.350: %APF-3-NO_FRAMED_IP_ADDRESS: [PA]apf_radius.c:2476 'AcctStop' clt MAC: 40:83:de:83:f6:c1  AP MAC: a0:23:9f:54:74:80 Role 'Local' PemState 'DHCP_REQD' SSID 'Skorpio' Connected for '28591' secs

thanks

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you using radius, if so, review the logs there. Also, its a good idea to add as much information as you can, like what model ap's and code you are running, how is the design, local or flex connect, WLAN setting, radius information, have you been able to replicate the issue and how, etc.  

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hello Scott,

Thank you for looking into it.

No, we are not using radius for this SSID. Layer 2 authentication with pre shared key simply.

We are using CISCO AP model - AIR-CAP2702I-E-K9 running on 8.3.150.0 (SW version)

AP mode in Flex connect. Flex Connect local switching and Flex Connect local authentication.

WLAN Setting are - [WPA2-AES] [Auth(PSK)]

Scanner Devices should get static IP from WLAN Pool VLAN ID. Some scanners are working fine, and some are not working. Those are not working for them we see earlier mentioned message logs in WLC.I tried to cover maximum points of our design for SSID. If this can take to any possible conclusion?

Regards,

Makarand

What do you mean by this? Scanner Devices should get static IP from WLAN Pool VLAN ID

Do you mean the scanners have a static address, or there is a Mac address reservation on your DHCP server?  What do you mean by some work fine and others don't?  The others that don't, have you verified the settings and are they the exact same as the ones that are working.  NIC firmware, etc?  Have these worked before and if so, was there a change in the nework?  You can also run a debug on the client Mac address to see what is happening.  Then you can put that debug into the debug analyzer on Cisco's website.

-Scott

This issue resolved and those end devices which was not working started to connect and work again. Will use debug commands if we encounter issue again. Scanners have a static address and Settings were exactly same for all those scanner devices. However, we asked for source and destination server Vendor to check from their end as well.

You didn't really answer Scott's question except to say "Scanners have a static address".

If that's true then they shouldn't be working at all.  The logs you pasted: "PemState 'DHCP_REQD' SSID 'Skorpio'" suggest that the WLAN is configured for DHCP required (static IP not allowed).

Now it might be working by chance because it's local switching and local authentication but that's more luck than design.

Also 8.3.150.0 is long since out of support and very old.  So many bugs have been fixed since then which you could be encountering.

Hello Rich,

Though DHCP scope is configured for WLAN interface, there is no such Mac address reservation found on those DHCP server.

It seems post patching on Servers, these end devices started working again. They are working since long time.

Thank you for all other links. Could plan to upgrade for next code on this WLC now.

Hi Richard

Our servers team Patched all production servers including DHCP and destination LM server of these scanner device. They have assigned static IP to those scanners' device and hence those static IP (which are statically assigned) not defined on DHCP servers. So out of WLAN interface /22 IP pool, one /24 pool not defined under DHCP scope and same is being used for these scanner devices. I can still see those logs for a while but after some time scanner devices gets IP and connects successfully.

Thanks

Makarand

Keep in mind that if you still have vlan group defined and it's now working, it means that it can break in the future.  That is the risk of doing something that is not supported.  Hopefully that doesn't be an issue in the future.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card