cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless clients bouncing up and down

tcasartello
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco Unified wireless network on our college campus. There's an area of one of our dormitories where people are having an issue where they keep disassociating and reassociating to our wireless network. We have pretty dense coverage in that area (generally get about 5 bars,) and I haven't seen the issue in other areas on our campus. Anything in the area I should look for that could be causing that problem, or could it be a problem with out setup.

42 Replies 42

Hello MC.

Yes , we did open a tac and got a beta firmware... and it solved our voice gap problem and downgraded all AP to Version 12.4(10b)JDA3 ( yes i am running without WLC)... the 12.4(21a)JA1 release for AIR-AP1242AP have beacon issues.

The Final release of 1.3.3.0.3 is in feb... dont know the date yet....

We allso had problems with phones rebooting right after a ended conversation.. or getting a red line on the antenna icon and reauth..
This allso got was solved upgrading firmware on phones... this is the same issue with the 7921 phones.

Do you have any problems the first couple of hours after a total reboot ?

I dont know if you can telnet to AP running LAP and check for beacon disabled / enabled...

-Filip

Hi Mike

we are having exactly the same problem but with 7925 (1.3.4SR1) and WLC 7.0.98.0. Did you open a TAC case when you were facing these problems, because this would help us to point or TAC engineer to this case.

Did the replacement with 7921 solve your problems?

Regards

Dominic

Hello Dominic,

We did stay with the 7925s and they are working fine now.  I never got a straigt answer from Cisco or the network implementer what eventually fixed it.  I had both of them onsite several times (over the timeframe of several weeks) and they could not resolve the issue.  Several site surveys were performed, APs moved, .... without success.  Eventually all the sudden after some final configuration changes everything started to work.  I never got a straight answer to what fixed it.  I did an analysis myself and compared what had changed on the controller between the last configurations (see attachment).

Personnaly - I think one of the key components was to remove the upper (100+) channels from the Auto-RF Channel List on the A radio.  However site surveys showed that this should not have been the problem.  There is no guarantee that the above settings will work for you since this type of tweaking depends heavily on your environment.  However it also does not cost anything to try to see if it improves your situation.

Another thing - Did you turn on debugging on a phone in order to find out what the source of the problem is?  If so, make sure debugging is turned off again on that phone.  The debugging feature is VERY CPU intensive and can cause also dropped packages on your WLAN Voice phone.

Hope some of the above might help you.

Mike

Hi Mike

thanks a lot for this detailed information on your configuration. Are you still working with the latest 6.x version and don't you have these beaconing problems?

>> Did you turn on debugging on a phone in order to find out what the source of the problem is?  If so, make sure debugging is turned off again on that phone.

thanks for the hint, but we had this problem already recognized when lady with the tracing phone had big voice issues ;-)

Concerning the settings, a questions:

> CHD per WLAN

What setting is that?

Thanks again and regards

Dominic

Yes, I am still working with 6.0.196 and have no issues.  The 7925s run with CP7925G-1.3.4.

CHD = Coverage hole detection.  This parameter is set on the SSID (WLAN) itself.

OK maybe we have to try the 6.0.196 version. But then the TAC will go crazy ;-)

Coverage hole detection is enabled, so most of the settings are identical.

Surprising for me is the DTPC setting disabled, because in every deployment guide this setting is an absolutely must. I will try this today and maybe this will help in increasing the voice quality and reducing the voice gaps.

It is very strange, the phone can be between two access points (RSSI from -33dBm to -54dBm) and it says "leaving service area", in my opinion it doesn't get all the beacons and believe it has to roam.

a.aboudi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We in National Guard hospital have the exact same issue randomly disconnecting and connecting after random time.

We have two WiSMs with the software 6.0.182.0 and one 4400 with software 6.0.188.0

Our APs are 1132AG, 1232G, 1242AG and 1252N

And our clints are: Cisco, Linksys, Delink, Intel and Atheros

please help

Cisco's recommending everyone to stay away from the 5.X and 6.X code.  Upgrade to the 7.X code and try again.

Hi

we already upgraded to 7.x and still having the same problems. We have an open TAC case but they can't see any problems?!

Wow, I have not heard that one yet. I am currently very hessitant about version 7.x after my experiences with 6.x.  It took Cisco several versions of the 6.x code and over a year to get it somewhat right.  The 5.x code has been long on the market and works quite well.  The problem is there is no 5.x code available for the 5500 series WLAN controllers.

I know Cisco wants to push their new code in order to get feedback about the new features.  I have installed the code on one controller just for testing.  I am going to wait for the next version of 7.x code before I consider rolling it out to all my controllers regardless of the recommendation.  I know the latest 6.x code works, I can't say the same about 7.x code yet.

Vinay Sharma
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Please mark the Question as Answered if the provided information is correct and issue is fixed.

thanks,
Vinay

Thanks & Regards

The problem was resolved by using the specific configuration mentioned in this thread and - more importantly - using the latest firmware provided by Cisco for the phones and the controller.  I am now running version 7.116 on the 5508 and had no reports of issues since.

Hi,

I am facing similar problems with 7921G phones upgraded with the firmware version 1.3.4SR1, and also audio drops.

C3750WLC Controler version is 4.2.207.0

We use a WLAN for the 7921G, configured as follow :

WPA/TKIP/CCKM (802.11b/g)

Michael, could you please tell us your current configuration that is working fine ?

Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card