Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Consolidation Reccommeded Approaches

CSCO11733516
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon everyone!

I'm going through some tasks and I'm not quite sure of the best approach. Was looking for some recommendations and/or pointers in the right direction. All of your responses would be much appreciated.

NOTE: All APs do meet requirements to fulfill the desired results.

The current setup is that of:
-  2x 5500 WLC (HA setup) running 7.6.120.0
-  8 WLANs
-  100 APs (Local/Monitor Mode)
-  APs are currently registered and connected to the Primary 5500 WLC

Looking to have the desired end results:
1.  Consolidating the 8 WLANs down to 3 WLANs
2.  Converting the APs from Local/Monitor Mode to FlexConnect mode
3.  Migrating the APs from the 5500 WLC to a HA Pair of Flex7500 WLCs running 7.6.130.0

Where is the best place to start with the above?
What is the recommended approach to complete each of the tasks?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I would like to understand reasoning behind Local mode to FlexConnect change. Is this mainly branch AP deployment ? How many sites and how many APs per site ?

Have you already got 7510 ? If not I would consider different platforms (5520 or even vWLC with upcoming 8.2.x code)

I would suggest 8.0.121.0 code as AP will not reboot while you convert to Flex in 8.x code. So you will get some time save with that code.

First I would consolidate the WLAN while keeping the AP in local mode. 

Then work it out vlan/subnet (if doing Flex Local Switching) and do the preparation for FlexConnect migration.

HTH

Rasika

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

I would like to understand reasoning behind Local mode to FlexConnect change. Is this mainly branch AP deployment ? How many sites and how many APs per site ?

Have you already got 7510 ? If not I would consider different platforms (5520 or even vWLC with upcoming 8.2.x code)

I would suggest 8.0.121.0 code as AP will not reboot while you convert to Flex in 8.x code. So you will get some time save with that code.

First I would consolidate the WLAN while keeping the AP in local mode. 

Then work it out vlan/subnet (if doing Flex Local Switching) and do the preparation for FlexConnect migration.

HTH

Rasika

Rasika-

Thanks for the prompt response, I will response to your question with details shortly!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card