cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Controller Choice

AQUALUNGAMERICA
Level 1
Level 1

I need to implement a Cisco Wireless Controller. We will be deploying 1262 AP's, 5 at the corporate site and eventually the plan is to deploy AP's to the the 7 other remote sites, connected via VPN tunnels using Cisco ASA. Total Wireless will be at least 20 total for the infrastructure.

Would it be best to purchase a Cisco 2500 WLC or a Cisco 5508 WLC and have expandibility. Or do I need a separate WLC at each site then having those WLC talk to one central WLC back at corporate?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Carlos

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello señor Carlos Rodriguez

"Would it be best to purchase a Cisco 2500 WLC or a Cisco 5508 WLC and have expandibility"

5508 is the best option you have more features and in some future when you need to add more AP's the WLC 5508 support until 500 AP's and 2504 up to 50. Of Course you need to buy some licences.

"Or do I need a separate WLC at each site then having those WLC talk to one central WLC back at corporate?"

if you want to have redundancy you need 2 WLC if don't you can use just one and deploy for the remote ap's ad H-REAP or FLEXCONNECT

I just my experice who's talking about.

See ya

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"
**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***
**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**

View solution in original post

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Carlos,

As per your query i can suggest you the following solution-

For first query I will suggest you to go with 5508 as it has more features as compared to 2504 controller.

Regarding your second  query if you want high-availability you can use 2 WLC.

Hope this will help you.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Would it be best to purchase a Cisco 2500 WLC or a Cisco 5508 WLC and have expandibility.

It'll depend on your budget.  With 7.4.100.X, the maximum amount of AP the 2504 can support jumps up to 75.  The 5508 can support up to 500 APs.

With the 2504, you just connect a copper ethernet cable straight to your switch network.  The 5508, the SFP modules are optional.

Personally, I'd go for 5508 over the 2504.

I need to implement a Cisco Wireless Controller. We will be deploying 1262 AP

Look at the newer 2602 or the 3602 AP.  You have a WLC, you may as well enjoy the benefits of CleanAir.

Another thing, the 1260 is an AP without any antennas.  Also, Cisco has announced the End-of-Sale and End-of-Life for the Cisco Aironet 1260 Series.

Or do I need a separate WLC at each site then having those WLC talk to one central WLC back at corporate?

You can operate a centralized controller by using FlexConnect.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is a tough question... Of course I too would prefer the 5508, but I have installs with the 2504 with no issues. Everyone has chipped in with their info so the only thing I can add is going with the 2504, will be cheaper especially if you buy two for redundancy. So really it will come down to how much can you spend. I also agree with Leo with either using the 2602 or the 3602... They are pretty solid AP's.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

6 Replies 6

Hello señor Carlos Rodriguez

"Would it be best to purchase a Cisco 2500 WLC or a Cisco 5508 WLC and have expandibility"

5508 is the best option you have more features and in some future when you need to add more AP's the WLC 5508 support until 500 AP's and 2504 up to 50. Of Course you need to buy some licences.

"Or do I need a separate WLC at each site then having those WLC talk to one central WLC back at corporate?"

if you want to have redundancy you need 2 WLC if don't you can use just one and deploy for the remote ap's ad H-REAP or FLEXCONNECT

I just my experice who's talking about.

See ya

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"
**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***
**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Carlos,

As per your query i can suggest you the following solution-

For first query I will suggest you to go with 5508 as it has more features as compared to 2504 controller.

Regarding your second  query if you want high-availability you can use 2 WLC.

Hope this will help you.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Would it be best to purchase a Cisco 2500 WLC or a Cisco 5508 WLC and have expandibility.

It'll depend on your budget.  With 7.4.100.X, the maximum amount of AP the 2504 can support jumps up to 75.  The 5508 can support up to 500 APs.

With the 2504, you just connect a copper ethernet cable straight to your switch network.  The 5508, the SFP modules are optional.

Personally, I'd go for 5508 over the 2504.

I need to implement a Cisco Wireless Controller. We will be deploying 1262 AP

Look at the newer 2602 or the 3602 AP.  You have a WLC, you may as well enjoy the benefits of CleanAir.

Another thing, the 1260 is an AP without any antennas.  Also, Cisco has announced the End-of-Sale and End-of-Life for the Cisco Aironet 1260 Series.

Or do I need a separate WLC at each site then having those WLC talk to one central WLC back at corporate?

You can operate a centralized controller by using FlexConnect.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is a tough question... Of course I too would prefer the 5508, but I have installs with the 2504 with no issues. Everyone has chipped in with their info so the only thing I can add is going with the 2504, will be cheaper especially if you buy two for redundancy. So really it will come down to how much can you spend. I also agree with Leo with either using the 2602 or the 3602... They are pretty solid AP's.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

AQUALUNGAMERICA
Level 1
Level 1

To everyone, I would like to give thanks for their input. You have all been tremendous with your help as I understand you have other things to tend to and giving time for us newbies can be time consuming. Cannot thank you enough and appreciate your support and time.

Carlos

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts, Carlos. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card