Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless design options

Khawar Khan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have centralized WLCs in datacentre to which all APs in campus associate.

The VLANs in DC are different from the ones in campus (VLANs don't extend).

There is a requirement in one lab (currently 2 APs) where the wireless users should be on the same VLAN as wired desktops. The wireless devices need to access application running on the desktop and protocol uses broadcast in the same VLAN to discover desktops running the application.

I am thinking about few options and would like to know what you think about it:

1) use centralized controller:

-create new SSID with PSK (just to be used in lab)

-create new AP group and add existing SSIDs along with new one

-have this new AP group on APs in lab

Problem: wireless users will be on different VLAN than desktops (VLANs don't extend between campus and DC)

2) deploy new local controller (wlc 2504)

-configure it to have same SSID's as centralized WLCs with additional SSID just for lab

-the APs in lab associate to it

-configure new SSID to use same VLAN as used by desktops in that lab

3) same as option 2 instead use ios switch 3650 as local controller

-not sure about it since i have never used ios switches to serve as controllers

4) use autonomous AP's in lab

-create new SSID just for lab

-link new SSID to vlan used by desktops

Problem: will lose other SSIDs (wireless networks - employee and guest networks).

I am more in favor of option 2 (wlc 2504 as a local controller).

Please let me know which option you will pick and why. If you would do it some other way, please state it as well. Do you see any issues with above options which i have overlooked ?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Why not converting those two AP as "FlexConnect" & terminate traffic locally for a given SSID & put them on to  the same VLAN of wired device ?

HTH

Rasika

View solution in original post

-AP will switch and authenticate locally for the new SSID and remaining SSIDs will still use central resources (switch and authenticate via centralized WLC as before) ?

Yes, that is the way.

currently switch interface to AP is access, after converting APs to flexconnect the port will be trunk ?

Yes, AP management should be on the native vlan of this trunk link. Pls refer below reference guides for more understanding

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-1/Enterprise-Mobility-8-1-Design-Guide/Enterprise_Mobility_8-1_Deployment_Guide/ch7_HREA.html

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/98646/wireless-lan-flexconnect-configuration-example

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Why not converting those two AP as "FlexConnect" & terminate traffic locally for a given SSID & put them on to  the same VLAN of wired device ?

HTH

Rasika

Thanks Rasika for the quick reply.

Few questions in regards to flexconnect:

Those 2 APs in lab will have other SSIDs as well (employee, guest etc.)

-AP will switch and authenticate locally for the new SSID and remaining SSIDs will still use central resources (switch and authenticate via centralized WLC as before) ?

-currently switch interface to AP is access, after converting APs to flexconnect the port will be trunk ?

For example, the new config will look like below ?

new SSiD = lab

desktop vlan = 101

AP vlan = 100

interface x
description Access Point x
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 100
switchport trunk allowed vlan 100,101
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree portfast
-can AP and clients (connecting to this new SSID) get IP address from same old central DHCP server in DC ?
cheers

Yes, that is the way.

currently switch interface to AP is access, after converting APs to flexconnect the port will be trunk ?

Yes, AP management should be on the native vlan of this trunk link. Pls refer below reference guides for more understanding

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-1/Enterprise-Mobility-8-1-Design-Guide/Enterprise_Mobility_8-1_Deployment_Guide/ch7_HREA.html

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/98646/wireless-lan-flexconnect-configuration-example

HTH

Rasika

Thanks Rasika for your assistance. I tested flexconnect yesterday in my lab and it worked, will soon run POC with client and see how it goes.

Thank you so much!

cheers

Great to hear.

See, we have saved some $$ for you ;)

Let us know how your POC goes with FlexConnect option

Rasika

you surely did, let me know when you're in Sydney and i will take you to lunch/dinner :)

BTW, will flexconnect solution suit whole building as well ? or it's recommended for a location where there are small number of APs and for more Local Controller option is best ?

Cheers

you surely did, let me know when you're in Sydney and i will take you to lunch/dinner :)

Will do ;-)

If you come down to Melbourne for Ciscolive 2017 let me know. We can meet up.

BTW, will flexconnect solution suit whole building as well ? or it's recommended for a location where there are small number of APs and for more Local Controller option is best ?

From the design point of view, FlexConnect solution developed by Cisco for customers who has a large number of branch sites (where they do not want to deploy WLC at each site) and connected to HQ over the WAN.  Since traffic locally terminating at the branch & can survive even during a  WAN link failure, this is a big advantage for such customers.

Here are basic design guidelines for FlexConnect

Pls go through this Ciscolive presentation as it will cover what features available & what limitations as of today. You can freely register for ciscolive365 if you currently not registered.

https://www.ciscolive.com/online/connect/sessionDetail.ww?SESSION_ID=90745

In a campus network, if you have 1Gbps or higher building interconnection, I would prefer local mode AP unless you have specific requirement to terminate traffic at a local switch (like what you have at the moment)

HTH

Rasika

Thanks Rasika for all your help with this. I will read the document and watch video.

Sure, i will let you know if my manager send me again to ciscolive :P

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card