Helpful
Replies

Wireless Design

ricardorojas123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Did you can help me with this design?

I have a 200 users to be connected to the wireless network, these users will connect through its integrated wireless card using 801.11N in their notebook.

The dimensions are 50X20 meters or 164x65feet.

What is the model most appropriate access points to deliver a good service to this number of users?

How should the the configuration of the transmit power?

I attachs the map floor.

I appreciate your suggestions and collaboration.

9 Replies 9

Hey,

I made good experience with the 1140 series which are able to handle up to 100 Users like some other AP's(datasheet).

With a look to your plan I would say do a survey first and install at least 2 AP's but I would suggest to install 3.

20 meters is absolutly no problem for the AP in open space 10m in every direction..

hope that give some ideas.

regards,

Sebastian

pls. rate if it was helpful

Sebastian Helmer,

I am reviewing the DataSheet of the 1140, but I can not see the information that you say "1140 series which are able to handle up to 100 Users".

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10092/datasheet_c78-502793.html

Thats what I got...They told 400 not 100 Sorry...But I also got the information that 40-50 would be a good count...

My last experience was a booth at a exhibition with 80 clients all the time with 3 AP's 1140 Controler based 5508 60x20 meters a lot of electric maschine around and other wireless....worked well I was able to use VoIP in Wireless (non Cisco )..

But the others are maybe right, it depends always to the situation...

In office areas without voice..only Oultook, Web etc...I plan one AP every 30 meter...so a range of 15 meters arount every AP...

This is just for information...the recommendations here from the others are for a perfekt solution I think...But I never get trouble with the normal requirements of my company...

regards,

Sebastian

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would caution you has to how many clients per radio depending on your application needs. WiFi is a half duplex medium, just like "hubs". If you have 100 folks on 1 ap (channel 1), they are all doing CSMA-CA whereby all competing for the same medium.

Ideally, in voice you like to have 15 or less clients per ap. Data you can do 25 or so, but again if all 25 are pulling youtube, file transfers, etc ... You will see a big hit.

just my 2 cents

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Oh and one last thing. Tx power (very important) and glad you mentioned this.

Cisco APs max at 100mW. The larger the cell coverage the more clients connect to the ap and the more clients that share the medium. In addition, most clients TX at 35mW.

Its not good pratice to have an ap @ 100mW and clients @ 35mW. We call this a miss match link budget. I would also limit the low PHY rate to 5 or 11 or higher if you can.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

To reduce the power (mW) of the AccessPoint I have to change the "Tx Power Level" value in Wireless / Radios / 802.11a/n / TX Power Level Assignment/ and Select Custom? And select a number greater than one?

About the PHY I make this settings in the next section:

Wireless / 802.11a/n or 802.11b/g/n / Media. The 802.11a (or 802.11b) / Media / Client Minumum PHY Rate

Then complete this field with a value 5 or 11 ?

The configuration of the RF Channel Assignment must be Custom or Global?

Thanks George !

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hard to determine without a wireless site survey.

1.  How high do you expect the AP to be installed?

2.  What kind of traffic can you see clients pull?  E-mails?  Voice?  Video?

3.  What's your budget?

If I was to setup a high "presence" in an open space, then I'd consider the following:

1.  Disable 802.11b data rates;

2.  One AP per 15 x 15 square metres would be nice;

3.  You need a WLC to control the channels assignments and power;

4.  Minimum is 1140, 3502i preferred

Thanks leolaohoo,

I answer your questions:

1.  How high do you expect the AP to be installed?

The access point will be installed three feet high. (high = 3 meters or 9.8 feet)

2.  What kind of traffic can you see clients pull?  E-mails?  Voice?  Video?

The Client traffic will be HTTP, E-mails, Voice using CIPC and queries to databases.

3.  What's your budget?

The budget is to provide good wireless service.

I'm thinking of two WLC for the solution. My doubt is Which is the most appropriate access point regardless of costs.

In this case the best model would be the LAP1140, and as a second best option LAP3500?

Physical installation

For the physical installation, I will consider its recommended which are: devices installed every 15 x 15 square metres.

In this case the best model would be the LAP1140, and as a second best option LAP3500?

Regardless of cost???  Wow, you're speaking my kinda language!

Ok, kidding aside.  The 1140 can operate with and without WLC.  The 3500, on the other hand, requires one.

Regardling WLC, please DO NOT get a 2504.  Get a WLC 5508 with a minimum of 100 AP license.  Don't get anything less than that.

Back to your question, I'd take the 3500 with CleanAir anytime.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card