Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Distribution System on Aironet Devices

escarneiro3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Is it possiblie to run an aironet 1300 device participating on a wireless distribution system ?

It's configured as autonomous AP. I have 3 other Ap's from linksys running a wds and want this cisco one to join them.

6 Replies 6

Tiago Antunes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Yes 1300 can be configured as WDS.

Here is the config example section from the 1300 ap where you can find an example of WDS configuration:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5861/prod_configuration_examples_list.html.

HTH,

Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

In Cisco's terminology, WDS means 'Wireless Domain System', which is something totally different (as far as I know) from Wireless Distribution System.

Linksys WDS is a properietary system and is not compatible with the cisco WDS.

Are you asking about connecting an AP1300 to perform as a Distributed System or to integrate with LinkSys WDS?

HTH.

Thanks,

Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

Err.. in fact, it is a Linksys, but running alternative fimrware based on dd-wrt. We have 3com office connect too.

I wish to use this aironet as a 'repeater' on the existing wds infrastructure. I.E: in 3com, I just selected it to work as wds, typed out the master's ap mac address and set same ssid and channel. It's the default action on most devices. I just want to do same thing on cisco's one.

Ok.. Cisco APs communicate with only Cisco APs.. so if you wish to configure the Cisco APs in repeater set up.. then configure a AP in Root AP mode and configure another AP to repeater mode... this will work.. however the Repeater mode will decrease the throughput by 2 for every hop..

However Repeater between Cisco and 3com/linksys will not work i guess.. it Cisco with Cisco.. Linksys does not support IAPP..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

here is the link which gives info on configuration as well

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.2_15_JA/configuration/guide/s15rep.html

lemme know how this answered your question!!

Regards
Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card